Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Delay in opening applications  (Read 4348 times)

Hol2atio

Delay in opening applications
« on: January 06, 2005, 02:06:38 PM »
Im currently using XP pro, and sometimes on a fresh restart after a while of letting the computer load everything I try to open IE and the hourglass cursor shows loading but nothing happens, i try again and again, and maybe a bit afterwards the 5 windows open up. I dont see why that happens when im not using any cpu or running an programs. plus i wait till it loads. Just happend to me today and has happened before in the past, maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. 8)

drewdown619

Re: Delay in opening applications
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 02:29:39 PM »
What service pack are you running for XP?  Also you might want to check for adware, and virus on your computer.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 03:08:08 PM »
Do you have ANY software that will help you erase spyware? It sounds like you might have spyware running in your system, so that could be manking your computer slow.... Try deleting the spyware...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Hol2atio

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 04:29:42 PM »
i did run Ad-Aware on my computer beforehand and all it found was Tracking Cookie's which i promply deleted. Ran an online virus scan and checked out clean. Computer working finr now, but i wonder why it happends every once in awhile.  ???

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 05:45:27 PM »
Have you installed any NEW hardware lately?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Hol2atio

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 06:28:30 PM »
yes a 120 Gb hard driev that worked fine. Just today i got that delay.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 01:55:50 AM »
    Try defragmenting your computer. This process rearannges data on your harddrive so it is more efficent.

Do you have any extras installed for Internet Explorer? Like toolbars etc? They take up loading time and I have no extra toolbars; I find them unnessisary.

Running an online scan is no substitute to having your own virus scanner. Lots of online scans come up with false results to scare you into using their software. If this result came up empty it's possible you've used a geniune scanner, but better safe than sorry. It's best to use widely used and therefore tried and tested programs, such as AVG anti-virus from www.grisoft.com

You could try using the Firefox browser from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ I use it as I find it more efficent and secure.

You could have lots of programs schedueled to start. Look at the taskbar at the bottom right, next to the time. Do you have lots of icons loaded there? You might want to tell unnessisary ones not to load up at startup. Usually you can reload them yourself in Windows if they are needed. If they don't provide such an options, you can disable them from start > run > msconfig > startup. Look for their entry and remove it. Make sure you don't remove anything needed by your computer, such as explorer and systray. Apart from needed system programs, a firewall and virus scanner are the only things I have schedueled to start up.

Hol2atio

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 11:57:32 AM »
    Only toolbar i have is the Google toolbar that has never caused me grief in the past. As for programs in startup im pretty picky about that so my system tray is empty on startup lol, in exception to my video cards icon :). Problem has stopped now but just caused me the concern the 20 mins it happend. I will however defrag my computer C drive bc i transferred a lot of the data to my secondary slave.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 11:59:31 AM »
      You should also allow a firewall and virus scanner to load.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 04:39:44 PM »
      Well, it sounds to me like you have a lot of registry programs running in the background.... I have a program that COULD help if you are interested...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 04:53:25 PM »
      how much ram have you got??what is your page file set at?pay a visit to blackviper.com?