Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAM??...  (Read 2567 times)

Dave666

Topic Starter

Beginner

RAM??...
    « on: January 13, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »
    I was told i can put in 1GB of Ram into a ATX CM 33 TL SKT 370 DFI Board,running a Celeron 1Ghz Tualatin CPU....There are two slots for RAM,do you have to add equal amounts to each side?? or could you run say 512 on one side and maybe less on the other? Just curious...
    Thanks

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: RAM??...
      « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »
      Yep that is not problem.
      It is best however to use RAM of the same brand and most importantly of the same clock speed and timing.
      If you use RAM with different clock speeds all of it will run at the slowest speed.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Dave666

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:29:46 AM »
        So if i put 512 in one slot and say 250 in the other slot,the RAM won't be at 762??
        Thanks..ps: so you say it will run at the slowest speed?? being 250 say??

Dave666

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:27:28 AM »
          Yep that is not problem.
          It is best however to use RAM of the same brand and most importantly of the same clock speed and timing.
          If you use RAM with different clock speeds all of it will run at the slowest speed.
          I want to add one or two 512 mb sticks of ram,what type do i need? sdrm,ddr etc?...Also would you know of what i might be paying for this??
          Would you know Canadian prices?
          Thanks

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:01:17 AM »
            So if i put 512 in one slot and say 250 in the other slot,the RAM won't be at 762??
            Yes that'll be a total of 768 mb ram.

The clock speed determines how fast the RAM can be accessed. Depending on the type of RAM the MB supports, RAM might be available in different clock speeds. If you combine RAM with different clock speeds all the RAM will run the slowest speed.

I want to add one or two 512 mb sticks of ram,what type do i need? sdrm,ddr etc?...
            Look at the site I linked to in your other thread. The type is listed on the manufacturer's page.

Also would you know of what i might be paying for this??
            Would you know Canadian prices?
            I have no idea. I suggest you look at some Canadian web shops.

Dave666

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »
              Thanks alot..

Deerpark

Egghead
                « Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 11:31:22 AM »
                You're welcome. Happy shopping. :)