Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I cant access files on one of my hard drives  (Read 5867 times)

leafar

I cant access files on one of my hard drives
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
When i first got my computer, it came with a 120GB hard drive.

Then my motherboard died, so i got a new one.

I reinstalled windows onto my hard drive.

When i tried to access all the stuff that i had on the hard drive, i couldnt. I looked through all the folders in the hard drive but there was no sign of all the stuff that was on there.

I know that its all still there somewhere, because when i open the D: folder and right click on the top left, then Properties, the pie chart which shows how much HD space is empty / used shows that theres just a few GB of empty space left, out of the 120GB on the HD. Obviously windows doesnt take up that much space, so the rest of the used space must be all my stuff.

Ive bought another hard drive (13GB) and installed windows on that, and deleted windows from the original 120GB HD. I now use both. My new C: drive for windows, and the few GB left on the original D: (120GB) drive for anything else.

How do i access the 100GB or so of data that i have on the original D: drive?

By the way im limited in my understanding of terminology, so dumb it down for me as much as possible.

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: I cant access files on one of my hard drives
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 03:42:45 PM »
    When i first got my computer, it came with a 120GB hard drive.

Then my motherboard died, so i got a new one.

I reinstalled windows onto my hard drive.

When i tried to access all the stuff that i had on the hard drive, i couldnt. I looked through all the folders in the hard drive but there was no sign of all the stuff that was on there.

I know that its all still there somewhere, because when i open the D: folder and right click on the top left, then Properties, the pie chart which shows how much HD space is empty / used shows that theres just a few GB of empty space left, out of the 120GB on the HD. Obviously windows doesnt take up that much space, so the rest of the used space must be all my stuff.

Ive bought another hard drive (13GB) and installed windows on that, and deleted windows from the original 120GB HD. I now use both. My new C: drive for windows, and the few GB left on the original D: (120GB) drive for anything else.

How do i access the 100GB or so of data that i have on the original D: drive?

By the way im limited in my understanding of terminology, so dumb it down for me as much as possible.

Why did you re-install Windows after replacing a Motherboard?

On that properties screen for your D: drive, what does it say is the total space?

Also, what Windows are you using?

leafar

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »
    Why did you re-install Windows after replacing a Motherboard?

On that properties screen for your D: drive, what does it say is the total space?

Also, what Windows are you using?

I installed it onto the 13GB hard drive because i wanted that one just for windows, and the original 120GB hard drive for everything else.

Im always adding and deleting stuff from the 120GB hard drive, but on average theres usually about 110BG free

Im using windows xp home

leafar

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »
    Anyone?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

leafar

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:48:14 AM »
    I read that link but its impossible for me to do it, because as i said there is no sign of any of the files which are on the hard drive.

That means no folders.

Its like theyre not there, although i know they must be because of the amount of free space.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:53:08 AM »
    and deleted windows from the original 120GB HD. I now use both. My new C: drive for windows, and the few GB left on the original D: (120GB) drive for anything else.

Clarify this...for example if a good portion of those files were in Documents and Settings depending on how you "deleted" Windows they may very well be gone.

leafar

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »
    In documents andsettings of the 120GB hard drive, theres a folder with my name on it but "access is denied". But as i say all my stuff must be there, as its still taking up the space on the hard drive.

I deleted windows manually, dragging it bit by bit into the trash can. a tiny bit is still there and cant be deleted for whatever reason.

Maybe i could try your earlier suggestion. But it says that ive got to start my pc in safe mode. How do i do that?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 11:35:56 AM »
    On startup and before you see the Windows splash screen tap F8 repeatedly til the prompt window comes up///
    However you seem to be saying two different things...if you can still see the Docs &Sets folder just follow the directions i posted...no reason for safemode there...

leafar

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »
    1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

[when i do this, the only tabs that appear are : general, sharing, and customize. Theres no security tab]

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:04:23 PM »
      Login to the account called administrator in safe mode.
      « Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 01:08:27 PM by Deerpark »
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 12:42:45 PM »
      Thanx Deerpark !

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 01:09:37 PM »
        I know you hate repeating yourself. :D
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »
        Thanx Deerpark !

;)           ;D

leafar

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »
        I started my computer in safe mode. I went to start, my computer, D:, and the folder that im trying to access, called Leafar.

I right clicked on it, went to properties, and clicked on the middle tab (i cant remember what it was called).

It was pretty complicated, there was something about ownership, and path or file names. I typed in leafar but not a lot happened. There was a long list of permissions, one of them being ownership but when i tried to tick the box next to it, it didnt work.