Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I cant access files on one of my hard drives  (Read 5914 times)

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: I cant access files on one of my hard drives
    « Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »
    Print out the page patio linked to:
    Try This...
    (Alternately you can use safe mode with networking and have internet access in safe mode.)
    It's all there step by step. If you're having trouble doing one of the steps then please tell us which one along with details on the problem you're having.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

leafar

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 06:03:03 AM »
    I am having trouble (see my last post)

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 06:56:38 AM »
      Yes but in your last post you didn't sound like you were following the steps.
      You need to pay attention and follow them carefully.
      If you're having problems performing a step, tell us which one. I can't from your last post decipher how far you got.

leafar

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 07:16:54 AM »
      In the instructions in the link, before mentioning the steps it says to start the computer in safe mode, which i did. Then i went to start, my computer, D:, docs and settings, then Leafar (the folder that i want to access). Then...

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

I did that

2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

There was no security tab, so i looked at all the tabs and clicked on one of them. I cant remember which one it was. In this tab there was an Advanced button which i clicked, and i looked around in there (im going from memory here). I saw something about ownership, permissions, and a list of permissions with boxes next to them. I tried to click on the ownership box but nothing happened. As i say this is complicated stuff to me.

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 07:46:00 AM »
        I suggest you do it again. If you can't remember what you did then how am I supposed to offer any help?
        Boot the computer into safe mode.
        Login with the account called Administrator that should appear on the welcome page.
        Then try following the steps again.