Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer restore checkpoints  (Read 3139 times)

joe coleman

computer restore checkpoints
« on: January 06, 2005, 02:54:38 PM »
Please help me!  :o
Here is what I did:

I opened up "word perfect 10", from windows XP home edition,  to get into a 300 page, 90 some thousand word, document that I am working on. As always, there is a blank-page document, with cursor blinking. I clicked "file" button and, a list of document names came up at the bottom of the menu.
I, inadvertently, click the save button from the menu instead of clicking the name of the document, from the list, to bring the doc. up automatically.
Here it got screwy:
The "saved files my documents" box came up. Instead of just closing the box, I clicked the name of the document i wanted.
Consequently, my 300 page document w/90 some thousnd words, turned into a blank document!!@!!
I tried a system restore and it doesn't seem to correct the problem. i did a new system checkpoint, that I'd like to undo but, no luck!!!

Can anyone out there help me. This is disasterous!
whojoe?

burton

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: computer restore checkpoints
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 03:04:50 PM »
    It sounds like you saved the new blank document as your 300 page file? Did you not do a backup?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 03:06:38 PM »
    Well, I really HATE to break this to you..... But...... System Restore does not effect your files..... Just software, and such.... If you read teh directions, you will see that none of your files will be effected.... Sorry I couldn't help...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

whojoe?6

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 06:32:17 PM »
    Thanks for an answer, Flame and Burton.
    It sounds like I am royally SOL!

It sounds like whebn i saved it; that is where the screw-up happened.
    You know, it was so easy to do. I have back-ups but, I don't do them every day.
    I don't understand why i can't do a system restore to an earlier day and, retrieve what I HAD then!

Isn't that possible? Oh, that's right; Burton said it will not affect documents.
    Can I undo that "save" I did?
    Thanks again
    Joe

burton

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 03:41:14 AM »
      No, that isnt possible. As Flame mentioned, the restore option is only for system files, so your personal documents aren't concerned. Undo a Save is not possible. Looks like you'll have to restore your last backup and start again from there!!   :(

If there is a possibility, I would like to hear it too, because I am just an advanced user, no computer expert.

Zzyzx

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 07:51:38 AM »
      Actually the Microsoft documentation is wrong on system restore and data files. Consider this:

1. Create a system restore point
      2. Copy a file from folder A to folder B
      3. Restore your system to the check point created in step 1

After restoring your system, your file will not be in folder B!

I found this out the hard way and it took days to realize what happened.

On XP Pro, there is an Undo of your last system restore. On XP Home, this feature seems to be left out.

burton

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 08:34:11 AM »

On XP Pro, there is an Undo of your last system restore. On XP Home, this feature seems to be left out.

I have XP home myself and under Start - run - "msconfig" the System Restore also works. But I doubt that restoring back to a previous date will restore the file to it's previos state.

It might be worth a try joe, depending on how urgent and important your file is. Let us know if this works.  ???

Neil

Expert
        • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
          « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 12:08:56 PM »
          You could try this:
          http://www.executive.com/undelete/undelete.asp
          But don't get too excited. I doubt it will work because saving over a file is different from simply deleting a file.