Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft antispyware  (Read 10367 times)

gliss

Microsoft antispyware
« on: January 06, 2005, 08:00:54 PM »
Anyone else download the beta yet?  From what I'm seeing so far it's pretty good. I ran a full scan and came up with 5 exploits that ad-aware SE didn't find.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Microsoft antispyware
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 10:09:32 PM »
    gliss.....I just D/l and ran it ......looks decent ......but if you use flashget as a download manager .....it will identify it as a threat.......but aside from that it seems to be ok .....I will continue to use it for a few days to see how it acts ......

I am now going to test all my other spyware apps to be sure they are still working ok .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

2k dummy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 05:46:02 AM »
    Microsoft newsgroups

False positives, system crashes, more.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 07:46:34 AM »
      Not bad for Microsoft.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 09:45:38 AM »
      I just downloaded it... It's POWERFUL. More testing is required however...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

S-D

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 03:31:56 PM »
      used to using spybot S&D ver 1.3 and addaware ...very impressed with Microsofts new tool ...  its actualy found a few things that SB and adaware did not ... wooow! Microsoft !! you've  made something that actualy works!!!

2k dummy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »
      Did anyone notice that "system requirements" requires an active internet connection? Given MS record on security, do you really want them to have a backdoor into your computer? How long will it be before it gets trashed? How long before MS decides to misuse or abuse it?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »
        LOL.......Well given that the app requires a Internet connection so it can obtain its updates .........I'm not surprised that that one requires a Internet connection....

2k dummy ......"False positives, system crashes, more."
        "How long before MS decides to misuse or abuse it? "
        M/S has access to your pc anytime they wish to exercise the option. Please tell us your pc is free of Micro-Soft products.......Give them a break......
        BTW ....I have been using the app now for 7 days and I must say ...I'm impressed .....It may not be the greatest ....but it does a very good job.
        « Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 07:37:47 PM by dl65 »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 08:20:14 PM »
        Hey, its possible that Microsoft will take over everyone's computer! Sure! I wouldn't be suprised....

[glb]Flame[/glb]

chmatthew

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 11:40:24 PM »
        Just downloaded and installed and ran MS AntiSpyware.  It did this: put itself to automatically run at boot every time (we don't need ANOTHER program running at boot or Windows Start!  That's the problem, not a solution!!!).  I  told it NOT to schedule itself and it refused to allow me to NOT schedule.  It wants to run my computer.  So, we have Yet Another Startup Program -- YASP I'm coining this now).  We don't need that.  

It wants to run all the time, it wants to check things all the time, it wants to run my computer, my life.  

The only things that NEED to start at boot are perhaps anti-virus and a couple of other personal necessities.  Other than that, programs do not need to start at boot.  It creates long boot times, increases disk usage, disk thrashing (subsequently) and decreases computer lifetime.  Perhaps it's MS ultimate goal....

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 01:53:38 AM »
          chmatthew......Just read your post and there are several things I would like to clarify for you ......
          First ......I dont work for Micro Soft ......LOL
          "It did this: put itself to automatically run at boot every time (we don't need ANOTHER program running at boot or Windows Start!"  If you were paying attention when it was loading .....you should have seen the window which asked if you wanted it put in your start menu and a icon in the tool tray .....and did you wish an shortcut icon on the desktop.........

Next ..... "I  told it NOT to schedule itself and it refused to allow me to NOT schedule."   Did you take the time to actualy look at the scheduling possibilities? because if you had ......you would have seen that Billy gave you a Daily option , a weekly option or a monthly option . If you didnt want that ...remove the check mark from the box that said scan daily ......( I think you may have missed that )  So ....open up the program....click on TOOLS/SPYWARE SCAN/ MANAGE SPYWARE SCHEDULE and presto ...there's all the things your looking for ....

Then you say ......"The only things that NEED to start at boot are perhaps anti-virus and a couple of other personal necessities."    I certainly hope that your anti-virus runs at startup .......starting up without it could certainly as you put it ..."decrease computer lifetime"
          I don't want you to take this post as an insult to your mentality because it isn't ...... Did you know that this Antispyware program wasn't designed by M/S at all but rather by a company called Giant Software....( M/S recently aquired Giant I believe )

I have been comparing the Antispyware program to some of the others that do a similar thing ......and I must say that this one is up at the top with the good ones ........I hope that when the Beta version expires that the replacement will do as good a job and be available at no charge as well .
          Set it up the way you want it and give it a chance .

Cheers ,

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 01:58:08 AM by dl65 »

chmatthew

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 02:33:35 AM »
          I appreciate the favor of a reply and do enjoy discussing these things.  But I will take issue a bit with what you say and do not say.

First, the crux of the issue is that we want to get AWAY from programs running at boot and leaving huge footprints which slow the computer down (this is indeed the end result of adware/spyware).  Have you seen what most users have at boot?  Sometimes 15 - 20 apps running at boot.  And MS gives them another?  They know better.  But they see the problem not as something to be resolved but as a business opportunity...which needs to be kept in mind as their program finds "threats"....  (And if you think this is a good program, have you ever used any MS antivirus tools?  They are a joke...).

I saw the options you mentioned after the install - during which I told it to schedule nothing.  It assumed I was wrong.  

(Do the same with MSN Messenger -- try to get rid of it.  Good luck -- it's tied to all sorts of crap. )

We can chalk it up to beta, I suppose, but it's typical.  THis was the "Wizard" and then I went back to the options and it wouldn't let me leave w/o picking a schedule even though I did tell it not to schedule -- at that point I had already told the wizard at installation time not to schedule and it scheduled anyway (2:00 every day) and scheduled updates for me too.  ???  

I'm not surprised MS bought another company instead of designed it themselves but their tracks are all over the program.  

Again -- not to argue bitterly (as too many do) but you're approach to antispyware programs seems you will use one and only one.  That is like using one and only one antivirus program.  (Or one and only one OS).  It's not wise.  

Anyway...we'll see what happens with this program.  But answer me this: why would it see my RealVNC as a security threat (it is a remote viewing / admin program - not a hack or a crack) and yet does not see my Citrix (same thing) as a threat or see its own RDS client as a threat?  (RealVNC happens to be free).

Sorry if I seem to be ranting but again - too much crap at boot and MS proposes MORE crap at boot????  I disagree....

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 03:17:13 AM »
             chmatthew.........Whoa ..........Sorry I lost my temper ......ROTFLMAO ..........

Where to start .....First , "Again -- not to argue bitterly (as too many do) but you're approach to antispyware programs seems you will use one and only one.  That is like using one and only one antivirus program.  (Or one and only one OS).  It's not wise. "   I don't know where you got the idea that I only use one spyware app.....
            I use on a regular basis .......Ad-Aware SE Pro . , Spy Sweeper ( Webroot ) , Sptbot S&D , Pest Patrol  and now Antispyware .....  I only use one anti virus at any given time  ......running multi anti viruses at the same time DON"T work .......
            The auto update feature ......again you have the option of turning it off if you so desire ...but why would ?
            Scan scheduling.......If you dont want regular scanning ....then turn it off .......It doesnt have to be running...but if its not the protection it offers isnt there .
            SO WHY EVEN HAVE IT INSTALLED .
            Operating Systems .......I have two machines at home and I run Win XP  pro on one and XP home on the other.
            I have used Win 95 , Win 98 , Win ME .........and in my opinion Win XP is the best of the lot ......

you mentioned "RealVNC" , I think if you check you'll find that it is full of spyware .   As for Citrix ......hasnt M/S signed some sort of agreement with them ........If I remember it has something to do with M/S using some of Citrix code or something in the Longhorn program......

Further  , my pc's sit behind a hardware firewall as well as software firewalls .

MSN Messenger ,  If you don't want it or like it .....DELETE it its easy ....LOL

Anyway ........I just didnt want you to think I was brainwashed by Uncle Bill .........But you know what ......until someone comes up with something better
            I guess we're stuck with him .........

Don't you just love a good discussion

Cheers

Joleen

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 06:28:23 AM »
            Whee this looks like a good one and I love to mix it up with you guys.  I just wish I had some way to contribute but I'm still testing the software.  :(

chmatthew

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 09:55:25 AM »
            dl65 -- hey -- it continues...

Okay..first off, from RealVNC:

"The VNC binaries we distributed are virus-checked before release, and are also signed on platforms that support signed binaries. VNC does not include nor install adware nor spyware of any kind.

The most likely cause of VNC being detected as a virus, adware or spyware is that your computer has become infected with a virus that attaches itself to existing files. Once you have used your virus checker to clean up your machine, you should be able to download and re-install VNC without further problems.

Some virus checkers do, however, wrongly report that VNC is a virus. In most cases this is caused by "heuristic" virus detection methods, while in others the virus checker's database is simply wrong!

Some virus checkers detect VNC correctly and classify it as a "Remote Access Tool" or similar, but present the information in such a way as to suggest that it is viral. This is not the case. If you were already aware of the presence of VNC on your system, you can usually ignore recommendations to remove it.

If in doubt, we recommend contacting your virus checker software vendor to verify that their software is not reporting a "false positive", and for advice on how to remove genuine viruses from your system."

It is NOT adware/spyware/virus.  The seeming intention of "mainstream" computing is that if it is non-MS it must be a virus (is it possible the opposite is true?).  Okay -- I'm streatching it a bit, but RealVNC is great and comes preinstalled on MacOS (why would they preinstall a virus) and other platforms as well.

Google "remove MSN Explorer" or "remove Windows Messenger" and you'll the problems doing so.  It is possible, though.  (Reportedly Windows Messenger brings in pop-up ads, but I've not seen this).

To the core of the debate: Yes, Microsoft has some incredible hardware and software.  I just disagree with their corporate policies b/c they equate to gradually worse software.  Granted, theyve exposed many to computers who might not have ever felt they could venture forth, but look what has happened with those users: their computers are coming to screaching halts b/c of the very software which is supposed to be good for them and this Microsoft AntiSpyware is just one more layer on an increasingly complicated, fouled-up OS.  

MS is not evil as some might say.  Bill Gates is certainly wise but he is a business man, not a programmer.  To that end, if you see any licenses for MS Server 2003 you'll see you need licenses for running a web site.  Every anonymous user who may come to read a page of yours sitting on IIS on MS2003 Server will need a license.  If MS has their way, you'll be paying MS for every click of your mouse.  As it stands, anyone can put out a web site, anyone can visit any website w/o paying license fees.  MS abhors this b/c they see it as a chance to make money.  So they will lure unsuspecting persons to easily build web sites / pages and then charge them for each visitor they get then hold them liable if they don't pay.  

Okay -- how did I get to this from MS AntiSpyware?  I dunno.  I'm ranting.  And I do love a good discussion.  But how can you trust MS AntiSpyware software?  The ides itself sounds...frightening....

I've hardware/software firewalls as well and packet sniffers, thread watchers, streams watchers, etc. and all sorts of fun things to really see what's going on.

You mentioned why have something installed if it's not running?  I won't reply to this because I think the answer is within the question -- but do you only have things installed that you run 100% of the time?  I doubt it.  It should be up to you when you wish to run it, when you wish to use it.  It's freedom of choice.  Granted, for most users (you not included, obviously) they wouldn't know when they needed it or not.  But still...

Okay...that's all for now.   we can agree to disagree.  Thanks for the discussion....

(I could go one step further and say that WinXP is a virus, backdoor, trojan, adware,spwyare but I won't)...  ;)

I guess what it boils down to is that too many users just don't know enough to make up their own minds.  Hence the reason for this great website; most important is users need to educate themselves to make up their own minds and make their own decisions.  Hopefully they can do that here.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »
              chmatthew......   I love this quote ........""The VNC binaries we distributed are virus-checked before release, and are also signed on platforms that support signed binaries. VNC does not include nor install adware nor spyware of any kind.

The most likely cause of VNC being detected as a virus, adware or spyware is that your computer has become infected with a virus that attaches itself to existing files. Once you have used your virus checker to clean up your machine, you should be able to download and re-install VNC without further problems.

Some virus checkers do, however, wrongly report that VNC is a virus. In most cases this is caused by "heuristic" virus detection methods, while in others the virus checker's database is simply wrong! " ......
              ....LOL.... It reminds me of a commercial put out by a drug company promoting their product.........You know the drill , our product will do whatever .........but the user may experience some of the following side effects.........and anyone suffering from......bla bla bla ......should refrain from using these products.........( Thats called covering your *censored* ) ......

In any event , as you point out... its up to the user to decide what he or she uses or doens't use ........that's the users choice . On this point we are in complete agreement .....

I also hope that the visitors to this great site take the time to read these posts ...because even if the posts appear to be slanted one way or the other it may stir a desire in them to do a little more checking and as a result become more informed ......

Until the next time .......
              Have a good one ,

« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 01:24:41 PM by dl65 »

chmatthew

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 04:37:18 PM »
              I agree that hopefully users will decide for themsevles after perhaps being either enlightened or thought-provoked.  

RE: VNC disclaimer: it's far shorter than any MS disclaimer about how they are not responsible for damage done by their software to your hardware or other systems.  but I think that's pretty standard practice in the industry so no need to continue debating.

All in all -- great discussion...we'll try to help people and we'll see what comes of this adware/spwyare mess.  'Till next time --  take care.....