Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I Sychronize When Backing Up With A Batch File?  (Read 2279 times)

Stuu3270

Can I Sychronize When Backing Up With A Batch File?
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »
Hi,

A simple question...

I have already leart how to write a basic batch file to copy directories and files across to my external HDD.
However, if I was to delete a directory or file from the source HDD on my desktop, that directory or file will still exist on the external drive until I manually delete it.

Can I program my batch file to delete a directory or file on the destination if it has changed from the source?

I hope that makes sense.
Any answers??
Thanks

Stu

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can I Sychronize When Backing Up With A Batch File?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »
Try SyncBack

Use the Free version 2/3 rds down the page before you know you need the paid version...
I've been using the Free ver. for years...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Stuu3270

Re: Can I Sychronize When Backing Up With A Batch File?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:31:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply,

I am wanting to use the batch file route, just out of preference.
I already have sync software supplied with the external drive. I'd rather stay in control of what is being copied, etc. A piece of software might delete something and before I know it, its too late!

I want to know if there is a 'switch' or command in a batch file that deletes the backed up directory if it no longer exists in the source, to save me from deleting it from both or deleting my backup to recopy it.

Stu