Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: this is all compatable right?  (Read 2797 times)

Jblamp

this is all compatable right?
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:25:17 AM »
ASUS V3-M2A690G AMD Socket AM2 AMD Athlon X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 AMD 690G Barebone - Retail
                  1 PCI-E x16
                  1 PCI-E x1
                  2 PCI slots
                  4 SATA
                  1 IDE/ATA  <and as a note I can use two ATA drives through one port right?>

Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7190S - OEM

SAPPHIRE 100218L Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO4000DDBOX - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

The missing pieces I already have and are pretty standard like HDDs and my pci Sound Card.  I just want a final, yeah your not an idiot, and I can click the order button.

homer

Expert
    Re: this is all compatable right?
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
    and as a note I can use two ATA drives through one port right?

that is correct, just note that there is a difference between ATA and SATA.

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB)

take note that, unless you have a 64bit operating system, you will not see the full 4gb's of RAM.

everything looks good, the only thing i would change would be the CPU cooler. if you plan on overclocking and must have one, then i would suggest the ultra 120 extreme by thermaltake with a 120mm scythe ultra kaze fan.

I just want a final, yeah your not an idiot, and I can click the order button.

yeah, your not an idiot. ;)

Jblamp

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:53:31 AM »
    So my 4gb will equate to how much on a non-64bit OS?  I am planning on making the jump to Vista and all, but with having to build the new comp XP Pro will have to hold me for another few weeks.  The bank is un-happy and well she does all the cooking soooo   :)

And yeah I see the difference between SATA and ATA, I just have two perfectly fine ATA HDDs that I would like to use vs buying new SATA ones :)

Oh and as for overclocking, thats a bit out of my range atm.  Perhaps down the road, but as of now I don't feel comfortable enough to risk it.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:06:53 AM »
      So my 4gb will equate to how much on a non-64bit OS?
      Between 3-3.5 gb. It varies depending on the hardware you have.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Jblamp

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:46:37 AM »
      Well as my old system had 1gb and did what I wanted it to most of the time, I think I can handle losing a gb for a few weeks. 

Thanks again for all the information this has been a huge help with this whole hard transition.  I am still considering a formal burial for my old comp.  Beleive it or not but one of the HDDs I use in that old system is the only original part I still have from my very first PC purchase.  I feel like my dog just died  :-[

homer

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »
        Oh and as for overclocking, thats a bit out of my range atm.  Perhaps down the road, but as of now I don't feel comfortable enough to risk it.

if you do not plan to overclock, then you do not need to purchase an aftermarket CPU heatsink. the heatsink/fan that comes with your processor will provide satisfactory cooling with your CPU running at stock speeds.

Jblamp

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »
        This is what I was told by a friend too, but considering I would rather be safe then sorry and that I game pretty excesively I figured why not get a little better cooling going on.

Plus it was very cheap and came in a combo pack that gave me free 3 day shipping.  I have got a mean itch that only MMO gaming can scratch right now!!!!   He he.