Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: repost : computer power button failure  (Read 3862 times)

smnido09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

repost : computer power button failure
    « on: January 16, 2008, 09:17:08 PM »
    hi,

Any suggestions on how to fix a power button that is no longer working? I have windows xp home edition compaq presario 6420 nx amd athlon 2200+ 1.8 ghz. It is 5 years old. I've had some problems with my pc in the past ( recently my pc started making beeping noises and wouldn't load windows) but was able to fix the problem.
    Now i HAVE  a new problem.
    I was in the middle of fixing a key board related issue with my pc when the power button failed . As I was about to turn it off, it wouldn't so I had to press on the power button for a few more seconds.. then when I pressed it back on, my pc refused to start. It wasn't getting any power ( no blinking green lights and I didn't hear fans running. What should I do? How can I restore power? I need only a couple of hours to retrieve i mportant data from pc. I need help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: repost : computer power button failure
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »
    What exactly were you trying to fix about the keyboard? And how were you trying to turn it off? What was it doing that it wouldn't turn off?

What was the issue you were having before?

This could be a multitude of things. Need to know more specifically what you were doing at the time and what happened.

smnido09

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: repost : computer power button failure
      « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 01:22:15 AM »
      thanks for responding

A friend of mine wanted to hook up her laptop to my printer so she could print something out.  It was fairly simple , so I let her do it. I left the room and when I came back, she told me that my pc stopped working.

When I turned pc on , it started making weird beeping noises ( with 2-3 sec intervals) . On top of that my monitor was unresponsive (  the speakers were working and the power on). So I  thought, strange, it was working fine before, she must have pulled something or moved something from the  back ofthe  system unit. I pressed the power button on and off 5 or 6 times thinking that the beeping would just go away.

I went online to find more info and basically the material I came across suggested that I most likely I had a 1) hardware failure 2) dirty fans 3) overheating 4) loose ram/ video card .. and that most likely I needed to  boot from start up disk and reinstall windows

.. So I stumbled upon this site and I read somewhere tthat the keyboard or monitor could be casuing the beeping sound( my pc probably was unable to recognize either , so that is why it started beeping) . So I re connected everything( making sure nothing was loose), moved the sytem unit to a more spacious area ( I did this while the it was off). Then when I turned it back on, everything went back to normal.

My new problem started when I decided to reconnect the dsl lines to the system unit . I thought everything would be fine ( I make sure the cords running through the back were not tangled etc..) but when I turned my pc on again, the beeping resumed ( and blank screen came back). I used power button to restart comp 3 times , then something flashed on my monitor " keyboard error , unrecognizable " something along those lines. So I turned pc off to make sure  my keyboard adapter was firmly in place( and the monitor as well), then when I pressed the power button on, it still kept on beeping.  I reconnected keyboard adapter like in 6-7 cycles turning pc off and on and still beeping. 

That is when I pressed the power button off, the green light just didn't go away even when I stopped pressing, so I had to hold it down for 3-5 seconds longer until pc was completely shut off. When I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't.  And so, I don't know how to restore power button function., Infact, I don't even know what happened, did I shock comp? will it ever work again? pls. help if you can .l thanks.

btw my pc is 5 years old, i haven't upgraded hardware. I use it for very simple purposes, no gaming or media editing whatsoever. The worst thing that happened prior to this was when I got some viruses and spyware from p2p networks but I cleaned those up already.