Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: norton virus definitions  (Read 4639 times)

striker64

norton virus definitions
« on: January 07, 2005, 02:19:18 PM »
So this is my first post. I operate windows xp with norton ant virus and norton security and windows firewall..
My virus definition is outdated 12 18 04 and so it tells me to update.
When I update I get the following message
Lu 1806 was unable to install either of the 2 updates that you selected (i didn't actually select any as it was automatically scanning)
The the second dialogue box that one opens to see what the problem is says
"virus definitions update failed because it tried to overwrite a file that was in use.Close all your semantic applications and try again"
So i had applicationsthat were on the icon tray closed and then went to norton site for instructions and that's an experience. anyway they gave me some instructions about readjusting some settings in my windows firewall which I did but that didn't help anything

So i am just fishing before going back to the Norton site where they are suggesting i go into registry and several other weird things..anybody  got an easier way????Thanks

2k dummy

Re: norton virus definitions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 03:52:48 PM »
Try downloading the defs using intelligent updater. After the download, disconnect from the internet, shut down NAV, and double click on the downloaded file.

2k dummy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 03:54:15 PM »
Forgot. Reboot after the update completes.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 09:18:18 PM »
    striker64......Is your subscription for your Norton Internet Security still current ?  Is this situation something that has just started ? Are there any other error message numbers displayed other than ...LU 1806 ?  It sounds like you have your Norton set to auto update.... Have you tried to update the definitions manually ? I have a friend who had a similar problem recently updating his definitions and he just kept trying the manual update and after several attempts it up dated just fine . Exactly which Norton program are you using ? When the list of items which the live update looks at comes up there should be an excalmation mark show up on the ones which wont update ...then if you click on the + sign in front of the item .....more info will be listed as well as the error code.

let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 09:22:46 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.