Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading Video Card  (Read 5398 times)

Gamecheater

Topic Starter

Rookie

Upgrading Video Card
    « on: January 17, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »
    I am looking into upgrading my video card, as I currently have a Nvidia GeForce FX 5500. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with a 2.6 ghz (supposively) dual core processor. 1 gb of RAM, and a 250 w PSU. I also have 1 AGP 8x slot and 3-4 PCI (not PCI express) slots.
    I know I would need to upgrade my PSU for anything good, that wouldn't be the problem. What I want is a video card that supports Direct X 10 for an AGP 8x slot at the cheapest price possible. I have looked into Nvidia cards and it seems the best Nvidia card that would work in an AGP slot is a Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT, and that does not support DirectX 10.
    What I need to know is some recommendations for the best video card I can get for my system (regardless of price and PSU, unless above $500).
    I was looking into it and it seemed like this video card would fit my needs.
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206487057&listingid=12933371&dcaid=17902
    I have a question about this video card also. If I buy two of these, would I be able to use them together (like Nvidia's SLI). And, what kind of PSU would 2 of these require?

homer

Expert
      Re: Upgrading Video Card
      « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:03:15 PM »
      if your budget is $500, i would recommend getting a new motherboard, one with a PCI-E X16 slot. you are severly limiting your choices of graphics cards by having an AGP board.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »
      Seems a single card would work with your current setup. You wouldn't  be able to put two in, though. That would require twin AGP slots and cards that could be joined. The Dell Dimension 8300 (according to the tech documentation from Dell) only has one AGP slot.

If you've got money to spend, I'd spend it on a new board with PCI-E and get a nice card for it. Your processor should carry over.

philk

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:07:19 PM »
        Agree with Homer, I think you can get better/faster video card AND motherboard for that price.  of course, if it necessitates buying new RAM, etc, that might cross the budget line.  If you can keep the rest of the system, and just replace video card and MB, probably best option.

Gamecheater

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »
          So If I were to upgrade my motherboard, which would be the best? Keep in mind that I would still need to buy a video card also, my budget being $500. I would find this out myself, as I know quite a bit about computers but when it comes to the new technology I know nothing. I also like having 4 RAM slots, like I do now.

homer

Expert
            « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:15:21 PM »
            you will need new RAM because you have DDR RAM, and not DDR2. i made a list of parts that is just a tid bit over your budget...

- Motherboard - ASUS P5N-E SLI - $132
            - RAM - OCZ platinum Rev.2 DDR2800 2X1GB - $80 ($45 after rebate)
            - Power Supply - Antec Earthwatts 430W - $75
            - Video Card - 8800GT - $254

Total - $541 (excluding taxes and shipping)

***all prices in CAD and were found at http://www.ncix.com/

i would like to know EXACTLY what your CPU is, to see if it compatible with the new motherboard. to find your CPU make/model go to Control Panel, from there select System, under "Computer:" it should tell you the make/model of your CPU. if not, select the "hardware" tab, select "device manager", click on the plus sign next to "processors", there it should tell you your CPU.

Gamecheater

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:02:30 AM »
              Here is what I found.
              http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7189/75868827ux1.jpg
              This all seems good, but would I be able to connect an IDE hard drive to the motherboard?
              It also seems that on another website (newegg.com) I can get a combo of the ASUS P5N-E SLI and a Nvidia 8600GT for a total of $254. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could get this to work with my budget.
              « Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:19:29 AM by Gamecheater »

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:48:11 AM »
              This all seems good, but would I be able to connect an IDE hard drive to the motherboard?
              Yes.  Look at the specifications shown on newegg.  It will support both PATA/IDE and SATA.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »
              With budget issues sometimes it's best to save the extra cash and get what you really want/need...

Homer taught me this valuable lesson on my new build.   ;)
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

homer

Expert
                « Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 04:52:23 PM »
                Here is what I found.
                http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7189/75868827ux1.jpg
                It also seems that on another website (newegg.com) I can get a combo of the ASUS P5N-E SLI and a Nvidia 8600GT for a total of $254. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could get this to work with my budget.

you will be taking quite the performance hit by purchasing a 8600GT rather then a 8800GT. if your budget simply cannot include the 8800GT and you cannot wait for some extra income , then i recommend purchasing a 8600GT from EVGA. why EVGA? click here

Shoota

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »
                http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

Here is a link where you can compare video cards in specific games with specific specs.

Gamecheater

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 07:53:51 PM »
                  Thanks for all the help, I never expected to have this many replies. I thought about what patio said, and I thought it might be better to save some more cash and build a custom computer from the ground up. That way I could have my ultimate gaming computer and not keep upgrading my old/current computer.

tuvi3t4u

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 09:21:04 PM »
                  Well if you keep upgrading different parts of your computer at different times, it will basically be a customized computer.

homer

Expert
                    « Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »
                    Well if you keep upgrading different parts of your computer at different times, it will basically be a customized computer.

while this is true, it becomes a pain to be constantly upgrading components.

Gamecheater

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 12:31:03 PM »

Yes, but isn't it better to say "I built my computer from the ground up" than "I upgraded my computer 15 times"?