Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sites coming up slow on 1 network computer, but not email. . possible causes?  (Read 3402 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

On the home network with cable, the sites take up to a minute to appear and never did before. If she clicks on outlook express, the email updates with no problem. The other computer is fine. I run XP on both. I have cleaned up the cache and temp files with "Cleanup!", done a virus scan with ad aware, and have have reset the modem and router and have also redone the network. I'm out of ideas. Is there  a way to do a deeper scan to find corrupt or unneeded files? I'm not the best with computers as it gets more in depth here. I'm always afraid of deleting something I may have needed for windows. Any ideas? The kids have been messing with the computer a little with MSN and their IM, is this related? Thanks for any suggestions.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Are you connected via Ethernet CAT5 cable or USB to your Cable Modem?

I've seen the software to communicate from USB to the Broadband Cable Modem get corrupt before and cause problems like this. If USB for cable to modem then you might want to reinstall the CD provided from your ISP and try that.

If Ethernet with CAT5 cable then some other issue. Does everything else run quick except for surfing the web, or is the PC considerably slower?

You can also reset your browser configuration if Internet Explorer 7, by selecting TOOLS from browser, then Internet Options, thenselect the Advanced Tab, then select RESET.

Dave

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I connect via an ethernet cable. When I try to reset it says Google has blocked an attempt to reset. Should I go ahead and do it anyways. I use yahoo as my homepage. Any other ideas? And also, the connection to Outlook Express is fine, quick as usual. It's when entering a website, it takes 1-2 minutes for each site or page to come up.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Uninstall any addon Toolbars you have including Google.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Still the same thing. What should I do next.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Experience: Experienced
        When I try to reset
        To reset, turn your computer off, disconnect modem from power source, wait 1 minute, reconnect, and restart.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I may have another clue to help solve the problem. I ran the kids IM MSN troubleshooter and itt said 2 things. 1. Your DNS appears unable to resolve IP addresses and 2. Improper Proxy or firewall settings. Check DNS and Check Keyports.  Is there anything I can do to check these or fix these? I am not that experienced when it gets into these things now so please be specific if possible. To rep: 1 computer on a network was taking up to 2-3 minutes for a web site to come up. Outlook express and email would work normal. The modem was reset, defragged, scanned, emptied all trash, redid network, I think I reset the browser and no changes yet. SO what's next? Thanks

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Experience: Experienced
          Are you using Internet Explorer? I'd like you to try Firefox to see, if same problems exist.

nibblit

Rookie

Well, my internet was going slow before and i used open DNS (www.opendns.com), a cat6 network cable, and firefox and now it's goin heaps faster. But you have probably got a more complex problem........so yeah good luck :P