Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Paint.NET problems...  (Read 10050 times)

dairyman

Paint.NET problems...
« on: January 18, 2008, 06:36:07 PM »
OK, here is what happened.

Yesterday, before the thunderstorm, I decided check application updates with FileHippo's Update Checker. There was a new version of Paint.NET available.

I downloaded the setup application. When I attempted to uninstall Paint.NET to via Add/Remove Programs, it said "The system cannot find the file blah blah blah". Wow, that was helpful... NOT!! I shutdown the computer and went to bed. Today, I was asked if I could edit a picture so that I could replace someones head with the head of someone else. So I turned on my computer and tried to load Paint.NET. It said that one of the files were missing. I knew it had something to do with the uninstaller, but that's not the problem anymore. When I downloaded the new version of Paint.NET today so I can fix this problem, I got the exact same error message as before, saying that it cannot find the required file. *censored*! Just when I needed something done, it dies. Just how my computer works. I hate this thing!!

I'm starting to think Windows is watching everything I do and trying to stop other products from working properly so I have to use the Normal MS products, since Firefox has being acting weird too!

Windows XP SP2 here.

Thank you.  :)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Paint.NET problems...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 07:15:06 PM »
Try sfc /scannow.

dairyman

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:51:35 PM »
My CD-ROM drive is broken. Is there a way to find out what files are missing after SFC /SCANNOW is finished? When I last ran SFC  /SCANNOW most of the time I got messages about missing DLLs.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:55:08 PM »
Is there a way to find out what files are missing after SFC /SCANNOW is finished?
Watch it while it's running. It'll give you messages.

dairyman

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »
OK, I'll try it now...

dairyman

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 09:27:38 PM »
Nope. No missing files found. Could be related to a very unexpected logon last year, when I couldn't access my documents, my settings were discarded but all the applications where there. However, I don't get that problem anymore.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
What is exact error message? What file is missing?

dairyman

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 10:03:45 PM »
"The system cannot find the file specified". That's all. Nothing else.

dairyman

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 12:21:41 AM »
I'm going to try The GIMP and see if I like it.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Can you download Paint.NET again?

dairyman

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
Let me see...

dairyman

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 07:07:53 PM »
I get this error message:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package "PaintDotNet_1219233376.msi" in the box below.

If I click OK, I get the following error:

The path 'C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Staging\PaintDotNet_1219233376.msi' cannot be found. Verify you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'PaintDotNet_1219233376.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product Paint.NET v3.10.

I don't know why it wants me to install v3.10. I'm sure this is v3.22 I'm installing.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »
No guarantee, but I'd try this.  Do you have a version of Paint.Net installed now?  If so, uninstall it, run CCleaner, including the Registry scan, and then install Paint.Net. 

Go here to get the Slim version of CCleaner: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html  Some advise on: Running & Configuring CCleaner.  When you run the Registry scan, elect to backup the registry when prompted.  Repeat the Registry scan; it will sometimes find more items upon repeat scans.

dairyman

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »
Ok, I'll try that.

grun

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »
    No guarantee, but I'd try this.  Do you have a version of Paint.Net installed now?  If so, uninstall it, run CCleaner, including the Registry scan, and then install Paint.Net. 

In my case, it was because of CCleaner that Paint.NET does not work anymore... It won't uninstall because it says it's missing a program (it doesn't say which one), and it won't install either... Help please...