Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell P992 CRT - blank screen and clicking noise  (Read 7386 times)

KBX500

Dell P992 CRT - blank screen and clicking noise
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:40:28 PM »
Dell P992 CRT monitor, with Sony Trinitron innards, has suddenly quit working. At system boot the screen remains dark with a blank, black screen and immediately begins making a constant rhythmic, clicking noise. The noise continues until monitor is turned off. The tower appears to be functioning OK. Just prior to this monitor malfunction, it made a loud popping noise, went blank, and hasn't worked since.

Monitor was purchased, along with a Dimension 4100, in 2000. The 4100 was retired in August 2007 and replaced by a XPS 410 with a NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE video card (VGA/DVI). The XPS 410 and the P992 worked together perfectly for 5 months.

A week or so ago the 320 GB hard drive in the XPS 410 bit the dust and was replaced on Dell's dime by an in-home tech on Thursday, Jan. 17. The monitor problem occurred the day after the HDD replacement and after several hours of transferring files and such. I can't be sure, but being objective about it, it seems that the two events are unrelated.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to what has happened and what the odds are for getting additional life out of the monitor ?

For those who have, or had, a Dell CRT monitor with the Sony Trinitron technology you know how great they are, in particular the P992. So salvaging it is desirable, assuming the cost is reasonable.

I just discovered this forum and am enthused about being a member.

Thank you in advance for your help,  KBX 

Soviet_Genius

Re: Dell P992 CRT - blank screen and clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
Try another monitor on the computer, or try this monitor on a different computer.

KBX500

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
Yeah I thought of that.
The problem with that approach for me is that I don't want to risk either my known good monitor or computer testing a possibly bad monitor or computer without having a better understanding of what the possibilities are. If I had a spare good monitor to use that way I certainly would. Hopefully, I may have access to one in a few days.
I've not had a monitor go bad this way before, so I'm in uncharted waters here.
In the meantime, I'm hoping someone here has experienced this situation before and will respond.
Thanks, KBX

ianbell

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
    « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:20:05 PM »
    Constant clicking noise sounds like the system is trying without success to access the HD - I think you have two seperate problems here.
    REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

KBX500

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 07:22:20 PM »
    The noise is not coming from the tower. It is coming from the monitor as stated previously. Hence, it is not the HDD making the noise.
    Thanks,  KBX

KBX500

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »
    Just a bump in the hope that someone who has had this problem will respond.
    Thanks,  KBX

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 04:59:41 AM »
      I've never heard about a clicking monitor before but I have to assume it's a problem with the monitor. That being said you could try connecting it to another computer just to be certain.
      If it's a monitor problem you will need to have it serviced. Since it's a CRT screen you might be able to find a local TV repairman who will take a look at it. If it's something simple he might be able to fix it cheaper than Dell.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 05:18:42 AM »
      Sounds like you had a internal transistor burn out. A repairman,or
      trying another monitor seems to be the only way to know.
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.