Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: repeated disconnection  (Read 2563 times)

Altezza

Topic Starter

Beginner
    repeated disconnection
    « on: January 21, 2008, 05:49:39 AM »
    I'll try and keep this short and sweet....

I own a Compaq 2500 that I bought second hand. (I know...that in and of itself is a problem...but bear with me...) It uses WindowsXP.

The first half of the problem (which may in turn, be the reason for the second half) is that having bought it used, there is a complication involved that I'm not sure what to do about. Apparently, this computer was used in an office and was previously linked to another computer, the Administrator. When I tried to update to Explorer 7, I discovered that my ID code is not the same as the one registered with Windows, thereby leaving me in a bit of a jam.

Is there a way to register this version with the number that's actually on my computer? I'd like to get WGA off my back...

And I don't know if this is related, but I am constantly being disconnected when using the internet. When I try to reconnect, I get an error message telling me that the modem or other hardware is already in use. (A friend told me this might be because WGA is "phoning home"...true?)  The only way I can get back online, is to unplug the USB cables, plug them in again (sometimes two or three times), and then it will work...for a while, then the process begins again.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  ???

Thanks much.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: repeated disconnection
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:08:25 AM »
    The best procedure in this instance would be to contact MS directly and explain things to them...they will probably issue you a new key.
    The modem issue could or could not be associated with your installation.
    You didn't mention what type of connection this is.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
    Also, what hardware is involved in your Internet access?  A router?  Is the modem internal or external?  You mentioned USB cables.  Is your modem or router connected to your computer via USB port?

Altezza

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »
      It's an ADSL line and the modem is external, connected thru a USB port.

I'll try contacting MS again. I had been in contact with them before, but I couldn't explain the problem, as at that time, I didn't even know what the problem was. All I knew was that I kept getting those WGA messages at startup, and then couldn't download Explorer 7. So much to learn...

Thanks so much for the help. :)

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »
      That laptop has an Ethernet port, right?  That's what I gather from: Compaq Presario 2500 - Mobile Pentium 4

I suspect you'd be better off having a modem connected to the Ethernet port rather than a USB port.

Altezza

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »
        I have no idea what that is....but I'll do some research and find out. Thanks, I'll give it a try. As is, it's WAY too frustrating....

Thanks again!

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »
        It looks much like a telephone jack, only bigger.  Also, called an RJ-45 jack or LAN port, as shown in the image below:

On the above laptop, it's on back.  But, it could also be on either side.