Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restoring Vista Up button  (Read 3597 times)

daniel1212

Topic Starter

Beginner

Restoring Vista Up button
    « on: January 21, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
    Though it is by no means a major issue, i miss the Up button in Navigating folders. I am aware that you can hold down the Alt key and use the up or down  arrow to so, but as one who does a lot of navigating between 4 partitions and many folders, I find the up button not only faster (esp. with my stiff fingers), but with it i can nuke the Navigation pane to allow for smaller Windows (the last size of which i find Vista forgets), which i often like in order to do place folders side by side. A 5.00 shareware app offers to restore it, but i would think someone could come up with a registry fix for that, or at enable least Alt and the mouse wheel to do it.

Grace and peace through Jesus

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Restoring Vista Up button
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »
    You may check THIS
    Check plug-ins download, too.

daniel1212

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:35:14 PM »
      Broni, that  is a real good addition, thanks!  Gets the up button back and far more, but the page you sent me to is important to understand how to install it, plus experimentation.

Thank God for those that make it possible to customize, and for the ability to do so.  I will send the Qtabs people a little donation. 

While i am on the subject, as one that is looks for speed, i found a discontinued Copernic app called Winkey handy in hotkeying launching of folders and apps.   http://freewarewiki.com/WinKey. And as i miss the ability to see folder sizes in Vista (via an add on), i found one called  Tree size free that works on Vista, though not as handy http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Another idea would be to make the Task Bar also more like the Tabs in Firefox and be able to move them around, and it’s Colorful Tabs ext make each one a different color. And also to be able to Save Sessions.
      « Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:32:54 PM by daniel1212 »

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 05:39:52 PM »
      I only found that add-on, and I'm still in playing with it, stages, but it looks good.

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:31:49 PM »
        Doesn't the new way the path is displayed in the address bar eliminate the need for an "up" button?

daniel1212

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »
          No, not entirely in function and certainly not in speed. For instance, opening up a sub folder in a folder in the 2nd HD;  the down arrow farthest left (next to the >) lists Previous locations, the 2nd arrow lists My Computer and the Desktop folders;  the 3rd arrow lists the folders in the drive i am in; sometimes a 4th arrow lists the sub folder of the folder i am in; the 5th arrow lists  previous locations, including the Internet ones.  To go immediately up to the next folder, i would have to click the third arrow, find the folder i want, and click on it, but if i want to go up higher than that drive means the first.  All such options are useful, but just clicking on the up arrow is faster and more institutive.

You can use the navigation pane for navigating, but this means an even  wider window, and as Vista does not always remember Windows sizes after rebooting (remember each.. is checked), i prefer going without it.

Of course, if all i had was one partition on one drive, rather than 4 or more, or had little need to often navigate,  then the speed of the up button may not be so desired, but it's no big deal anyway.