Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Could I have a conflict on XP?  (Read 2713 times)

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

Could I have a conflict on XP?
    « on: January 21, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »
    I have an EMachines 2210 2.6 GHz Intel Celeron. but the M/board expired, so I renewed it with a Foxconn 761GXK8MB with a AMD Athlon 64 bit socket 939 CPU. I used the original (EMachines) OS disc to boot up & all was OK. However, the system shuts down unexpectedly occaisionally, but I note the fans (PSU x1 CPU x1 & case fan x1) speed up prior to shutdown. My query is that I have Intel Pro Set loaded (from install disc) could this be in conflict with the AMD CPU? Is it safe to delete it? Can it BE deleted? What does it actually do? Could it be causing the overheat prob? Would an upgrade to XP64 bit be worthwhile? I hopeI have not transgressed any forum rules by asking these questions.  Please help! Regards Alex
    Finding a grub in your apple, is not as bad as finding half a grub in..........

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Could I have a conflict on XP?
      « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 04:30:36 PM »
      It could be overheating...

Did the AMD chip come with a heatsink?  Did you use TIM?

TBH, the mixmash of intel/amd doesn't sound healthy, but let's see if we can't get you working...

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:58:17 PM »
        Hi Sid, I'm pretty sure it's overheating. If you mean by 'TIM', thermal silicon  grease, Yes I did. What I did not mention is that the OS disc is the one supplied by the manufacturer, & I assume is not a full 'install' disc but a restore disc. That's why I asked if a new OS would be a better bet. Cheers Alex

Sid

Apprentice
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »
          First things first...

Let's try and prevent it from over heating, so you can actually work with it.

Has the heat sink got a fan attached to it?  Is it plugged into the mobo, in the right slot?

Any other fans on the case?

Chances are it is a recovery disk, but I'm sketchy as to what they actually include.  My understanding was that they include the OS and the drivers/Sware to put the PC to the state it was delivered in.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:38:31 AM »
          I would either disable the iNTel settings in the BIOS to run the fans at full throttle or check your new MBoard manual for how to change the default fan settings...
          An AMD chip will not take very long to burn up completely.

I'm confused on how you did this Upgrade. Did you install the MBoard drivers after putting it all back together ? ?
          If not i'm suprised the system runs at all as it is still thinking you have an eMachines board with an iNTel chip in it.

More Info...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »
            Thanx Patio. Yes there are 3 fans in total, 1 on the CPU, 1 in the case, & 1 in the PSU. I also set them to run at full speed in BIOS. I could move the tower as it is quite near a radiator, & in my work station, which would no doubt help here. When I fitted the MB I installed the drivers with the disc supplied with the MB, but was unable to boot up with my 'Restore' disc. It said something like 'files missing' so I took it to the local comp. shop, who returned it to me working ok. I think they may have installed an OS to replace the missing file then rebooted with my disc, but I'm not sure. I should add that it only shuts down very occaisionally, maybe once a week, sometimes only once a month. My main question is, would I be better buying a new OS, maybe XP 64bit? What, if any, would the advantage be ie 32 v 64 bit? (I don't do gaming etc.)Plus the original query, will running Intel Pro Set cause a conflict with AMD? What would happen if I removed it?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 03:31:22 PM »
            Your guess on what they did is probably spot on...
            But it will not hurt anything to re-install all the drivers from the MBoard again...they may have missed one or two.
            When you are done with that shut down...wait a few minutes and power up...this is known as a cold boot.
            Now go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager.
            Expand all the keys that have a plus sign by clicking on them so it shows every system device and how it's connected...
            If you don't see any devices with a yellow ! or ? next to them then all your device drivers are installed correctly and your machine should be good to go...

Now you can safely remove the iNTel software which may or may not be still controlling fan speeds. Use ADD/Remove software to get rid of it and you can also DLoad and run CCleaner and run the "issues" scan to clean out any remnants of the program...

This combined with moving it away from the radiator should help a great deal.

As to the OS question you will not see a great performance gain between XP 32bit vs. 64 bit except in the applications that are written strictly with 64 bit in mind...and Vista although designed to take advantage of this is a step up i've found it's not worth the extra layout of cash on system upgrades and the time invested in the learning curve of a brand new OS...
            So in short i would say stick with what you have because it 's been working for your needs and other than this overheating problem has probably served you quite well...

Others may chime in with a different opinion but this is how i see it
            Best of Luck and as always keep us posted if we can assist with anything else.

alexma

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
              Hi, I did all you suggested, & noted that the SiS Utility tray was not loaded, so I did.Then went to BIOS & reset everything to Default/Optimized settings. As I exited Bios & Win was booting up....the *@"&*+ computer shut down!!!! I let it cool down for 1/2hr. Started up again & all was well. in fact it started so quickly I was surprised! I deleted Pro Set & ran my Max Reg Cleaner, itcame up with over 7k entries to be deleted. It is so much faster I cannot believe it!! Only one thing now is that I cannot open Sis Utility tray, to check core temps/fan speeds. I will keep trying though. I cannot thank you enough for your brilliant responses to my probs. Very Best Regards Alex

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:55:22 AM »
              Glad to have been of Help...seeya around.