Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Synching Outlook Contacts and Address Book  (Read 2722 times)

burgerbyte

Synching Outlook Contacts and Address Book
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:23:33 AM »
I have copied a PST file from one PC (Windows XP / Office XP) to a second laptop (Windows XP / Office 2003)

I keep this file on a second (non-OS) hard-drive partition so I can periodically restore my OS to a known clean state.

On both computers, I have 'added' the second partition file, pointed the mail delivery to this, then removed the original Outlook.pst file which normally resides in "C:\Documents and Settings\..user..\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"

Problem:
The second Outlook sees all mail folders and messages, and all 'Contacts'.  But the Outlook Address Book is EMPTY!  How do I populate the address book with the current contacts?

Possible related problem??:  If I 'add' a NEW contact, then copy the updated PST file back to the original machine, the 'new' contact is not listed, but updated mail messages are present!?

Is copying the PST from machine to machine not permitted for synching Outlook?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Synching Outlook Contacts and Address Book
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:25:17 AM »
You should import the file (through the File menu) instead of copying it. Have you tried that?

burgerbyte

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:53:43 AM »
1) Create new empty pst file
2) Import everything from default pst file into new file
3) Change mail delivery to new pst file
4) Close Outlook and reopen
5) Close 'old default' pst file

Result:
All message and contacts remain as expected.

Open 'new message' and select the 'To...' button which displays the 'Select Names' dialog box

'No entries in this Address Book' still appears, however now there is a sub listing 'Contacts' in the 'Show Names from the' list box.  The complete contact list is now available, but as a sub level list.  Sure it's there, but I dont want to have to make this sub-address list selection, I want the top level Outlook Address Book to be populated.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:27 AM »
You should import the file (through the File menu) instead of copying it. Have you tried that?