Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: creating a wired network with a belking wireless g router  (Read 2633 times)

charleyd

creating a wired network with a belking wireless g router
« on: January 20, 2008, 09:49:11 AM »
I have 2 computers, a dell running XP and a "mixed-breed" that runs windows 98. I want to connect them using the wireless router which has wired capabilities. The XP is using the router fine but the 98 with SE will not connect tot he internet? What can I do. There is a cable running form the XP to the router and from the router to the other computer.

enduser05

Re: creating a wired network with a belking wireless g router
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:56:38 AM »
ok so make sure you are using the right kind of cable to start with.  If the XP computer is working and the 98 one is not you might have two different kinds of cable.  One is called a crossover and the other is a straight through connection.  You can test this by swapping the cables, if practical.  This will also check to see if the one cable is just bad. 

Next you need to make sure your settings in 98 are correct.  here is a few things to check
1) does the computer see the lan card you are using? (in control panel, systems, hardware)
2) are the drivers up to date?
3) can you hook the modem directly up to the lan card and get internet?
4) can you see other network resources from the 98 computer? (ie the other computer)
5) when you look at the hardware do any of the system resources have a yellow or red flag next to them?  This would indicate a problem that needs to be addressed.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »
It would help if from both your Windows 98 and XP machines you could enter the command "ipconfig" into a command prompt and cut and paste the results here.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 02:44:34 AM »
    To Windows 98 the command is "winipcfg".

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »
      Is Win98SE DHCP aware?

That might be the issue, might it not?