Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinXP won't load; chkdsk keeps repeating and restarting  (Read 6100 times)

kota132

WinXP won't load; chkdsk keeps repeating and restarting
« on: January 22, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
Hello all, this is my first post here. I'm a college student; majoring in computer systems engineering technology. Classes don't start for spring until the end of the week, so I can't have my professors help me, so I'm using fourms to fix my problem. Here it is:

I'm currently working on a Dell Inspirion 1501, AMD 64x Dual Core, 1GB RAM, 100 GB HDD, Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP2.

The original problem was a registry error message that was coming up at startup, and Internet Explorer 7 would not load the Internet even though everything with the Local Area Connection was fine.

These problems were fixed by: Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7, and running TuneUp2008, which has a registry cleaner, which fixed several problems. Everything seemed to work fine after this; up until I attempted to use Spyware Blaster and Ad-Aware. The computer was not allowing them to access the internet.
Checked the Windows Firewall, and added the programs to the exceptions list, still nothing.

Then I realized that they had Norton Internet Security 2006 installed, so figuring that it was the Norton firewall blocking those programs I attempted to open Norton. The program would not open, and would freeze. After several unsuccessful attempts to uninstall Norton, (I was recieving some error message aboue being logged into Norton as an Admin user, but since Norton would not open, I could not do this) I found the solution on the internet, a file from Symtematec, I ran it, and it said that it would be completely uninstalled after the next restart, so I restarted.

Since I restarted from uninstalling Norton, Chkdsk runs at every startup. First it runs a 3-stage check, finds no problems, then reboots. At the next reboot, chkdsk will run again, this time with a 5-stage check. After hours and hours of chkdsk just repeatedly running on a loop, I attempted to boot in safe mode, which was unsuccessful. I'm also not able to boot into Last Known Good Config, it just starts the chkdsk again. The only thing I AM able to do, is run the WinXP CD at bootup and run the recovery console, but I'm not sure what I need to be fixing or doing within the Recovery Console.

From researching so far, I've learned that chkdsk has a registry entry that tells it to run on startup, but since I can't get into WinXP, how can I edit this entry in the registry? I just don't get what's causing chkdsk to run repeatedly on this loop, and why WinXP won't start; it just reboots after chkdsk completes, then chkdsk will run yet once again.

If anyone could help me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks soooo much!!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: WinXP won't load; chkdsk keeps repeating and restarting
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:17:27 AM »
First off believe it or not this is a common symptom after Norton removal...
But since it will not let you in to XP that can't be improved right now.
The good thing is that you are able to acces the Recovery Console.
Boot to the RC and run chkdsk /r   see if it completes fully. If so back at the prompt type in fixboot and hit Enter. Re-boot.
If it does not repeat the above procedure but this time before exiting the RC type in fixmbr and hit Enter.
Re-boot and it should start OK.
If not you will need to DLoad the diagnostics from the HDD manuf. site and use them to create a bootable floppy/CD.
Run that to completion and post back the results...

When you do get to the point that XP loads correctly Follow This Guide...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kota132

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:54:12 PM »
first and foremost, thanks for your reply!

Okay, so chkdsk /r completes fully. I did fixboot, and it completed. I rebooted, but was welcomed with chkdsk yet once again.

I went back into the RC, did fixboot again, then typed in fixmbr, when I did that, I recieved this message:

**CAUTION**
This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

I left off here, I'm very hesitant to say 'Yes' unless I have another opinion.

kota132

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »
UPDATE

So, i ran the 'fixmbr' command, it says that it was successful, i exit and reboot...
... only to be faced with chkdsk yet once again! Grrrrr!! I let chkdsk do it's thing and restart, but upon restart, sure enough, there's chkdsk again to greet me!

Anyone have any other ideas/solutions??

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »
There is possibly an un-recoverable error with that hard drive...
Best bet would be to hook it up as a slave drive in a known working machine and copy/save/burn the data you need to CD/DVD.
2nd step would be to do as suggested and run the diagnostics from the drive manuf. site once your data has been saved.
This will tell you whether that drive can be trusted with important  data or not.

kota132

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 07:09:55 PM »
I've already ran System Diagnostics from the hard drive, and everything is running fine, no problems.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »
Whose diagnostics did you run ? ?

kota132

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
Dell Diagnostics, at startup, by pressing F12, it's a bootable option.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:39:02 AM »
Dell Diagnostics, at startup, by pressing F12, it's a bootable option.

Grab the one for your HDD...they are far more thorough.