Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook 2000 import/export returns all deleted items  (Read 4667 times)

justin caise

Topic Starter

Beginner

Outlook 2000 import/export returns all deleted items
    « on: January 23, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »
    I hope that I can explain this properly.
    I'm toggling between two offices (home and work) I'm using outlook 2000 on both (my) PC's.
    Outlook works for me very well but what I'm trying to do is to update all my tasks and calendar stuff between the two machines.

So I export my entire personal folder to an external drive (jump drive) and then import it to the other outlook personal folders file on the other PC. It seems that, no matter how I work it, it always re-installs all of the calendar items I've deleted, even when I just export and then import back to the same PC!
    During the import and export I'm choosing "Replace duplicates with items exported" rather than "Allow duplicates to be created" or "Do not import/export duplicate items" because it seems like that "replace" option would change the dates of items I've updated or moved on the calendar, which is what I want.

I've also tried an archive back up and then just dump the old and reinstall the new - it was madeningly complex and unsuccessful.

Is there a better way to toggle between two machines? Or will I have to settle for assigning one "home" base PC and fly blind when I'm away from it?

If not for this issue - which clutters my calendar and increases file size - I could conquer the world.

thanks for any help.
    JC
    "The worst thing you can die with is potential." Henry Cloud

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Outlook 2000 import/export returns all deleted items
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:26:02 AM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

I think you could be looking down the barrel at "File Synchronization" on which I have minimal experience.   There's a good beginners article here and lots more on the WWW.

Good luck.
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

justin caise

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »
      Yeah, that's the ticket!
      "File Synchronization"
      In the link you provided I read about that long lost silly little gizmo called breifcase. It IS the thing I need to use. Who'da thunk that stupid archaic looking gimicky little thing would actually come in handy? And very handy it is indeed. All these years I've been over-burdening myself with uneeded hours and tasks of rename/copy/delete, etc. It even helps me transport and update my 3D CAD files. I've been searching for a long time for a system I can trust and this has become a part of it.
      Now if I could just do something to make it look not so early ninties.
      Thank you very much for helping me to sort this out.

Now onto conquer the world.

JC
      "The worst thing you can die with is potential." Henry Cloud

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »
      You're more than welcome.

Thanks for coming back at us to advise of your success, lots of posters just vanish.

D..
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.