Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to add another POP3 mailbox to Outlook 2002  (Read 3613 times)

novice973

how to add another POP3 mailbox to Outlook 2002
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:01:10 PM »
Hi, can someone tell me how I can add more than one POP3 mailbox to Outlook2002 so that when I open Outlook, I get to see multiple mailboxes at the same time?  I have done this when the mailboxes are on MS Exchange Server.  But, I can't get it to work when the email account is not on Exchange Server.  I have no problem adding the accounts, I can pick the profile to use each time I open Outlook.  But, I want to be able to see both mailboxes at the same time in the same instance of Outlook.  Thanks.

novice973

Re: how to add another POP3 mailbox to Outlook 2002
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »
Sorry, I need to clarify more.  When I say I want to be able to see more than one mailbox, I meant I want to be able to see both mailboxes and respective folders as well as send and receive from/to the respective folders.  The mail shouldn't all come into one mailbox when mail is being sent to another mailbox. 

Hope I didn't confuse anyone more.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 08:12:12 AM »
First, can we get our terminology straight here?  Outlook does not have a "mailbox".  Do you mean Inbox?  In other words, you have two email accounts set up in Outlook and you want a separate INBOX for each account.  Is that it?

novice973

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 07:37:55 PM »
Yes, I have email accounts from different ISPs.  Currently, I have it setup to choose a profile to use when Outlook opens.  However, I want to be able to look at both email accounts at the same time and to receive emails to the respective inboxes.   If I add both accounts to one profile, I will get emails for both accounts in one inbox.  I remembered doing this when the email accounts are on the Exchange Server.  I believe I can send emails from either email account as well (or maybe the emails were sent 'on behalf of'), but, am not 100% sure.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 08:58:41 PM »
If I add both accounts to one profile, I will get emails for both accounts in one inbox.  I remembered doing this when the email accounts are on the Exchange Server.
Well, Outlook works in different ways when used on an Exchange Server vs. a stand alone computer.  Yes, you will only have one Inbox with one profile.  One option for sorting mail would be to use Rules to direct mail from certain senders to certain folders. 

If you're using Windows XP SP2, you might try Windows Live Mail.  It will allow multiple Inboxes in one view.  See http://get.live.com/wlmail/features for some info.