Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem after installing new sound card - network cable unplugged  (Read 2626 times)

leahmeilleur

I have a rather strange issue tonight:

I've been working on getting an older P4 up and running for my 14 year old son.  Re-formatted everything, reinstalled XP set up anti-virus and live messenger and everything was working fine .... except the onboard sound.  Windows insisted there was no sound card installed and when I checked the BIOS the AC97 (I think it said) audio was set to auto.

Anyway, I decided to pick up an inexpensive sound card and some speakers so he could play music and herein began my ordeal!  I purchased a C-Media CMI8738 5.1 channel PCI card and was instructed by the salesman to "disable" the onboard sound prior to installing, which I did (changing from auto to disable).  I then installed the new sound card and XP failed to recognize it and now is flashing a message that "a network cable is unplugged".  I called the store where I purchased the card and the fellow there suggested I shut down the computer and move the card to another slot.  I did this and now XP has recognized the card and installed the software without any further issues regarding the sound ... I hooked up the speakers and presto!!  Music abounds!

However, we now cannot access the internet or live messenger with this computer as it seems quite convinced that it's network cable is unplugged.  I've tried another cable that I know is working (from his X-Box) and the message still won't clear.  I've gone back into the BIOS and changed the setting back to "auto" (as suggested by the computer store guy after another call) and still no luck.  I'm at a loss at this point.  The jack for the network cable on this computer is also on the motherboard and I'm beginning to think I may have to install a new network card to bypass this issue.

Talk about solving one problem and creating another!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a bunch!

Leah

photodroopy

Re: Problem after installing new sound card - network cable unplugged
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:09:20 AM »
Have you checked to see if there is an IRQ conflict?

leahmeilleur

Actually, after I posted I disconnected everything and pulled the battery for about 10 minutes.  This seems to have solved the problem.  The error message is gone and the computer seems happy enough with the onboard sound set at "auto".  It seems to want to automatically decide to use the sound card rather than being told to.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Problem after installing new sound card - network cable unplugged
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 05:42:18 PM »
Thanks for posting back :)