Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Newly built computer will not fully boot up(could be software issue)  (Read 3046 times)

soonernfl19

I just recently bought and put together a brand new computer for myself.  Just today I finished installing the hardware into the case and planned on installing Windows XP(Home Edition).

Anyways, I powered on the computer and everything seemed fine.  There were no errors noises coming from the computer and I was able to go to the Boot Menu by pressing F12.  Once there I booted up the Windows XP install CD in my DVD Burner(specifics on parts will be posted at the end) and followed the onscreen instructions.  I chose a partition, which was the only HDD I had hooked up and continued.  I then formatted the HDD.  After this, it said that Window files were being copied onto the hard drive.  Once the copying was over, the setup program automatically restarted the computer.  This is where everything comes to a halt.

After restarting, the computer would boot up normally, showing the POST screen and then going through the device log screen, but immediately following that screen, the computer would suddenly restart again.  Now the computer does this every time I turn it on and just keeps on repeating these restarts until I hit the power button and turn the computer off.

I have reformatted and reinstalled the Windows files by using the F12 button to launch the Boot Menu while the POST screen is showing, but it does no good.  I have also checked every single hardware connection inside the computer and all appears to be well-connected. 

If anyone can provide me with help, I would deeply appreciate it.  I have spent the entire day trying to get this computer running and I am completely frustrated and out of ideas.

Here are the parts in the computer:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor w/ heatsink and fan

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case w/ four fans

PHILIPS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe 2-Tone SATA

Rosewill RP550-2 ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply

EVGA 7900 GT KO CO PCI-E x16 w/ heatsink and fan

soonernfl19

Re: Newly built computer will not fully boot up(could be software issue)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:09:47 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to mention it, but there is one more thing.

The very first time after formating the hard drive and installing windows, it always loads to the device log screen then says "Disk read error:  Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete".  After I press the buttons and restart, the computer then starts restarting on its own.

homer

Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:58:34 PM »
    hmmm. i can think of 2 possible reasons.

1. faulty RAM
    2. faulty harddrive

now these reasons are based on the assumption that everything in the computer is hooked up correctly and securely.

to troubleshoot the RAM, only use one of the two sticks. if your machine boots successfully then the stick of RAM that you removed is faulty. if the machine does not boot, then swap the sticks of RAM and try again. if it still does not boot, we can safetly assume that something else is at fault, unless you can test the RAM further by using them in another known-working computer. if the RAM is not at fault, then we can move onto the harddrive.

to troubleshoot the harddrive there are 2 methods:
    1. you will need to place it in another known-working computer. from there you will need to format it and install windows. if the format/install goes by smoothly and the comp boots up successfully, then your harddrive is not to blame.

2. you will need another harddrive (either new or a known-working one). hook it up to your comp and format/install. if it installs correctly and boots up successfully with that harddrive, then your other harddrive is faulty. if your comp does not boot up successfully, then something else in the computer is awry.

soonernfl19

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:20:33 PM »
    Thanks for the help man.  I took out one of the two sticks of ram, reformatted and reinstalled Windows and everything is running fine.  I am actually posting this message with my new computer.

I am wondering, do you think that this stick of ram is bad?  Or should I try putting it back in?

I just ask because I think I will have to RMA both sticks back to Newegg in order to replace the one bad one, if it is bad, and then my computer will down for another week, after it took two weeks to get it running.

homer

Expert
      « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 04:53:51 PM »
      I just ask because I think I will have to RMA both sticks back to Newegg in order to replace the one bad one

if they both came in the same package, then you will need to send both back. however, before doing so, you might wish to switch the sticks of RAM and see if your comp boots or not. it would be wise to be 100% sure that the RAM is at fault before sending it back.

soonernfl19

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »
      Now this is weird!

I took the one stick of ram out and everything booted up and installed fine and the computer was running perfectly.  Then I put the stick of ram back in that I took out and it still works fine, with the computer reading 2 GBs of ram.

If the stick I took out was faulty, then why did everything still work perfectly after putting it back in?  I cannot figure it out.  Except for maybe that I didn't have it in the memory slot properly, but then did put the ram in right the second time.  That would make sense to me.

Anyways, this beast is running beautifully.   Thanks again Homer for giving me the idea to check out the ram.  I kept on thinking something was wrong with the hard drive and spent a whole day messing with it, not even thinking of the ram being a problem for a second.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »
        hmmm, i agree, the RAM must have been seated incorrectly. but anyways, glad to hear that your up and running.