Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Additional copy with a ~ appears as a duplicate file.  (Read 2394 times)

estemacnosirve

Additional copy with a ~ appears as a duplicate file.
« on: January 25, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »
I have installed a microsoft word 2000 software in Windows Vista.

I had no problems in my files until I used the unicode to add some symbols to the text of one file.

Next time I started to write in this particular file, the "paper clip helper" disappeared and a box announced that this "little guy" is not longer working and I must contact the online support.

I click the program to explore it and found the clip helper box and restore it. Now is working fine.

But, this file started to have an additional problem:

Lets say the name of the file is "Poetry".

Well, it happens that in the middle of my writings a box shows up telling me that the program has stop working and I have two choices, to close the program or to contact the online service.

I decided to close the program and see what is going on.

It appeared in the computer's screen two copies of the same file, but one shows up as "~Poetry".

I have deleted it several times, and I still can use the "real" file and keep writing but this is something that bothers a lot, because microsoft word stops working in the middle of my writing, tellig me again that the program has stop working and giving me the two choices.

What is going on?

Why is this happening?

I am writing from another of my computers, because the one with my personal records and files (writings) is a lap top that never has been connected to the internet, and I don't think it will be.

For this reason I am not using the online services even if they were for free.

May somebody can help me with this? If this problem requires a special service, at least I want to know what is the cause of such duplicated files showing from time to time.

I will appreciate very much your help.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Additional copy with a ~ appears as a duplicate file.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »
There are quite a few updates for Office 2K ...have you connected and dloaded them all ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Additional copy with a ~ appears as a duplicate file.
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:49:29 AM »
    The ~ files are essentially temporary copies of documents created by Office.  That part is normal.  The temporary files would normally go away when you save and close a document, but the crash is preventing the normal behavior. 
    Do any relevant events appear in the event viewer? 
    (To get to the event viewer:   Control Panel ->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer)
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?