Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Refuses to Turn On  (Read 1902 times)

NightTrigger

Computer Refuses to Turn On
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:28:19 PM »
Okay, I've seen topics like this, but none of them seemed to feature the same symptoms that my computer seems to produce.

A while back, I tried to turn on my computer and the LED that shows whether or not it's on or not started to flash redish orange.  It sounded like the fan inside was spinning, but it would do nothing besides that.

The first thing we did was try a different, new power supply.  Of course, it didn't work.

Things got complicated after that.  Long story short, the BIOs wasn't holding information, so we replaced the battery and made sure it was connected nice and tight.  We could get into the BIOs after that, but for some reason it couldn't find the OS off of it.

Then, after that, we couldn't boot the OS from the primary drive. We figured it might gone bad, but we could use it in the external case on the other computers and we even made a clone of it.  So the hard drive still works fine and all the information is there.

We figured that it might have been a bad motherboard, so we switched it out for a new one, and even then it didn't work.  We've tried replacing the cable from the electrical plug to the power supply, and we've tried pretty much everything, to tell you the truth.  It's almost a new computer, except for the drives in the case.

So now I'm at the point where it's gotten back to the point that it won't turn on at all, and all it seems to do is spin the fan on the motherboard a little before returning to it's frustratingly unusable state.  It won't even spin the fan unless you unplug the cord for the power supply and plug it back in again before turning it on.

So... any ideas?

homer

Expert
    Re: Computer Refuses to Turn On
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 01:50:31 AM »
    how much RAM do you have? how many sticks of RAM do you have? are you sure that when you replaced all these components, you hooked everything up correctly? it is not very good for troubleshooting if you could have possibly solved the problem by replacing a component and, in turn, caused another problem by hooking the new component up wrong.

are you sure that the components you replaced were compatible with the existing components?