Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Format trouble...  (Read 7581 times)

Reemay

Format trouble...
« on: January 09, 2005, 06:26:28 PM »
Help. I'm trying to format my computer, but when I type the format c: code into the command prompt, an error comes up that says "Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES ON THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?" When I type "y" it says "Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use." What do I do?? And what EXACTALLY does that mean??

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Format trouble...
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 01:43:15 AM »
    Reemay....you didnt mention which operating system you are using .......but if you get a win 98 boot disk and put it in drive A ......... now display the command prompt
    and when you get the C: prompt  Type A:  and enter
    At the A: prompt    type Format C:  and enter .......you will get a warning message ....ALL DATA WILL BE LOST do you wish to continue.......answer Yes
    make sure you have everything you dont want to lose saved to a cd ..........( E mail address book ...WAB , any docs you need or pictures ......)

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Reemay

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 07:36:22 PM »
    No, I have Windows XP. I think I have to save the bootdisk file to a floppy, but a cant get a floppy big enough. That, or I'm really messing up somewhere.
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 07:51:48 PM by Reemay »

SKy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 09:43:56 AM »
    Reemay,

I think u r trying to format C:/ while u r still in C:/

Meaning if you boot your computer from C:/ and all your windows files are there, you cannot format C:/

It's like asking windows to commit suicide.  U need a boot disk to boot up, then you can format the drive with your windows.

cheers

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Format trouble...1.  Go to bootdisk.com a
    « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 06:56:31 PM »
    1.  Go to bootdisk.com and download to your harddisk the bootdisk for "Win.98se custom no ramdrive".

2.  Insert a formatted floppy in A: and click on the file you downloaded.   This will create the actual boot disk on A:.

3.  Write protect the boot disk and boot from it.  This will install a driver for your cd named Banana with the drive letter R: (watch the screen at boot time & you will see this).  If you still need to format, at the A:\ command prompt type "format c:" (without the quotes) and hit enter.

4.  Insert your Win OS disk in the cd and at the A: command prompt type "R:\setup" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.  Follow the onscreen prompts to install Win.

The installation sequence may contain a process to create a "Startup Disk" so have another blank formatted floppy available.

1. & 2. may have to be done on another pc.

Of course, you will also have to reinstall all your anti-virus protections & other progs if you format.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Neil

Expert
    • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
      « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 03:36:50 PM »
      Make sure you have your driver disks too, especially graphics card, or you're in trouble. Why are you trying to format? Maybe we could help with the problem making you format?