Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Security Alert  (Read 11966 times)

Bill Rowell

Security Alert
« on: January 09, 2005, 08:27:23 PM »
My problem is that when I go to check my e-mail a security alert comes up after I click "OK" the following page simply displays a message saying "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings". I know the site is working because I have no toruble on my friends computers.  I've adjusted my security settings with no luck. Please help. The problem may have something to do with ActiveX controls since they appear not to let me download any files that require a pop-up. Thanks Bill.

merlin_2

Re: Security Alert
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 03:51:16 PM »
bill do you have any program that block email spam/viruses? popup blocker ??more info on o/s and ie used?

Bill Rowell

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 07:01:18 AM »
I have never downloaded a pop-up blocker and I do get a small number of pop-ups. Is there a good way to check for a pop-up blocker? The e-mail does have a spam blocker. However, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the problem is associated with being able to download. There is maybe only 30% of material I can downlaod without getting the message that my Active X controls do not allow all the aspects of the page to be seen. I'm currently using windows XP. Hopefully this will help you help me. Bill

Bill Rowell

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 07:14:18 AM »
I have also sign-up to be a member but can't get the password because my e-mail doesn't work. I'll check later on a friends computer. Bill

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 01:27:55 PM »

Bill Rowell

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 09:24:10 PM »
I've tried that solution many times but I gave it another go. No Luck. Thanks for trying. If it helps any I couldn't access that site for fun either. Don't know why. Bill

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 02:49:21 PM »
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm it may help...if not check your firewalls are not stopping you!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 03:22:03 PM »
    Bill Rowell....Is this situation which has just started ?
    Do you use outlook express fot your E mail ?
    Did you receive or D/L any program updates just prior to this starting ?

please let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Bill Rowell

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 10:47:09 PM »
    This situation has been ongoing. It may possible have resulted from me downloading something but
    I have no idea what. First my MSN wouldn't work and a few weeks later I could not access my e-mail. I do not use outlook express but rather my university e-mail.

I went to the site given by merlin_2 and found that I was operating with Internet Explorer 5.1 and that there was a Internet Explorer 6.0 that is available.  I tried to download that but during the setup  I received a message saying that the program may not be compatible with Windows XP and installation would not occur.

I also have no idea how to check my firewalls. Is there a procedure I should be familiar with? Thanks for help. Bill

Bill Rowell

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 10:49:23 PM »
    This situation has been ongoing. It may possible have resulted from me downloading something but
    I have no idea what. First my MSN wouldn't work and a few weeks later I could not access my e-mail. I do not use outlook express but rather my university e-mail.

I went to the site given by merlin_2 and found that I was operating with Internet Explorer 5.1 and that there was a Internet Explorer 6.0 that is available.  I tried to download that but during the setup  I received a message saying that the program may not be compatible with Windows XP and installation would not occur.

I also have no idea how to check my firewalls. Is there a procedure I should be familiar with? Thanks for help. Bill

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 01:18:30 AM »
      Bill Rowell .....Is your computer a desk top or laptop?
      Has it ever worked right there.....?
      The other thing I find a bit odd is your using IE5.1
      Dont you get the auto updates from M/S ?
      Another thing ....what version of msn messenger re you using ?
      M/S IE 6 ...is certainly compatible with Win XP .
      Is your XP ...legal or a downloaded version ?
      do you have SP1 ....installed ?
      I would like you to go to ........
      http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us     and get all the updates that M/S scan says are available for you .

let us know
      dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 01:24:13 AM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Bill Rowell

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 08:42:08 AM »
      This is definately the problem. I went to the link that you gave me. I have been to this website before. Unfortunately, I get a warning that my "security contorls prohibit the running of Active X controls on this page. As a result the page may not be displayed correctly." I click "ok" and nothing happens. Therefore I have not been able to update my computer. Is there a may to lower the security settings other than through "Tools", "Internet Options",  "Security" ? Thanks, Bill.

Bill Rowell

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 08:49:53 AM »
      I was also using the old windows messenger and then couldn't use it after microsoft decided that everyone should be using MSN messenger. I don't think I was ever allowed to correrctly use MSN messenger however, I did download it. MY computer is a desktop and worked fine at all of those sites for at least a year. My version of windows is legal but I have no idea what SP1 is. Bill

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 01:18:15 PM »
      re-boot pc ..hold down the f8 key and chose the last good config that worked...ie6 is built in with winxp??maybe you have not got winxp??

Bill Rowell

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 02:23:54 PM »
      Did that and the only option was Microsoft Windows XP home edition. I clicked it and tried the internet and no page could be displayed. Rebooted again without holding f8 and my interent returned to the usual. Bill