Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Security Alert  (Read 11091 times)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Security Alert
    « Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 03:52:18 PM »
    Bill Rowell.....Well there's certainly some going on with your pc ....lets try this ......Download and install MSN messenger 6.2  ......http://messenger.msn.com/
    Do you have a hotmail address....? If you dont set one up......

Next .......open your browser and click on tools / Internet options /Advanced tab .........go down to Restore Defaults ......then click apply and ok .

Next go back into Internet options .....and this time select the security tab......you will see 4 web content zones ....... Internet , Local Internet , Trusted sites and Restricted sites... set them as follows ......
    INTERNET.......Medium
    Local Internet .....Medium-Low
    Trusted Sites.......Low
    Restricted Sites.....High
    click apply and ok

Now go back to Internet options again ...and this time select the Privacy Tab.......... set the slider to Medium ...
    click apply and ok

Now .....click START /Control Panel ....and then click on "SYSTEM".....now the system properties box will be open ...make sure the General tab is the active tab........
    you should see ...  the MS logo......and beside that you should see the heading .....System .......( exactly what is listed there ? ) ........then below that you will see the heading registered to ......... a name ( probably yours)
    and below that a serries of numbers.....exactly what are the numbers .........then below that the heading ...Computer and a description of your CPU and how much ram you have installed .

let us know re these settings and try to get msn messenger 6.2 ...you may have to create another hotmail address to make it work.

let us know how its going

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Bill Rowell

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 04:30:33 PM »
    So I downloaded MSN messenger 6.2. It did not pop-up but I was able to do it manual. It didn't popup because another of those Active X warnings came up. I set all the Internet Options as directed.

Unfortunately, there was no "SYSTEM" heading in my control panel. So all that information I can't find. Is there any other way I can find out this information.

When I try to access MSN messenger 6.2. I get the message that my e-mail or password does not exist. I know they do and are correct. However, I do not use hotmail because I cannot access it.  Thanks for trying. Bill

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 05:27:49 PM »
      Bill Rowell...If you havent used your hotmail or msn in a while they delete your account so just create another hotmail account ........BTW I sent you a Email at your other Email address .
      You don't have an entry in your control panel called system ?
      Do you have your control panel set to display as "classic or Catagory "   Try Classic view  and you should see system

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 05:34:05 PM by dl65 »

Bill Rowell

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2005, 08:06:33 PM »
      Ok the classic view thing worked. The system is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 and the RAM is 128MB. I hope this helps. Bill

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2005, 11:12:43 PM »
        Bill Rowell.......You didnt mention if you had SP1 ( it should have been listed right under "Version 2002 "

And you didnt mention what the serries of numbers ws below that .

let us know

dl65 ::)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2005, 11:55:15 PM »
          Bill Rowell......Here's something else to check .....go into the control panel....switch it to classic view .....open auto updates and make sure it's turned on .

Bill Rowell

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2005, 02:10:10 PM »
          I checked in Control Panel for Auto Updates and I don't have that icon. I know where it should be by viewing it on a friends computer but my computer does not have it. I think my problem may be that my computer hasn't been updated in a long time. Is there some way of updating without having to go to Wiondows Update Website. The website does not allow you to download manually and my security settings don't allow the Active X to run properly. Bill

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 02:28:13 PM »
            Bill Rowell........Ok , Bill ....I have a idea of whats happening on your pc ....but theres more info I require to be able to tell you how to fix it and get you current with all the updates ..... I will send you a Email detailing exactly what to do ...rather than using up a lot of space here .........