Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DELL Laptop, No restore cd, messed up partition  (Read 2603 times)

shday

DELL Laptop, No restore cd, messed up partition
« on: January 09, 2005, 11:14:04 PM »
Ok, I have a new dell laptop(1150)  and tried to hook it up to the home network.
On the netwok already is the following
1.)  Belkin 4 port pre-n router (works great with other computers)
2.)  Two Laptops, xp on both machines
3.)  One desktop downstairs
All of  the above have wireless connections and work great,(as they don't have sp2 yet, more on that later ;)

When i got the dell and tried to connect to the wireless network it said  "limited or no connectivity"  and it would not connect. Then i tried to do a repair and it did not display anyresults.
So then I realized that the laptop had service pack 2 on it and this has been an issue on many computers with noone knowing the correct fix for the "limited or no connectivity" The problem with the new dell is that the machine came with sp2 and there is no way to remove it.
I decide to try a copy of windows xp pro (without sp2) on the machine but after dealing with loading all of the drivers on the machine i want to just get the laptop back to its original configuration. THE PROBLEM IS AS FOLLOWS. somehow when i loaded win xp pro it messed up the recover partition that the synmantec recovery partition uses by hitting f11 with ctrl key held down  at computer boot up.  

So HOW CAN I GET THE COMPUTER BACK TO ORIGINAL CONFIG??

ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED AS I NEED TO USE THIS LAPTOP VERY SOON.
THANKS SO MUCH AND I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: DELL Laptop, No restore cd, messed up partitio
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 01:14:25 AM »
    shday.....The laptop is new and must be under warantee......so why not contact Dell for the solution . The problem seems to be theirs so why wouldnt they rectify it for you.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

shday

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 01:40:15 AM »
    I sat on the phone for ONE AND A HALF hours and they just kept switching me around.  I just need to know how to fix it myself

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 01:50:38 AM »
      shday......I would get back on the phone ( I know its frustrating) and insist on speaking to whoevers in charge and put it to them to fix their problem .......  Ask them to authorise the repair by a technitian in your city at their expense . The danger in playing with it yourself could give them a way out of the warantee......

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 12:09:24 AM »
      http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/troub-13.html  new laptop no cd restore disk,bit strange?hold down the f8 key and chose the last good config...
      « Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 12:12:53 AM by merlin_2 »