Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Troubleshooting Motherboard/CPU  (Read 2377 times)

LeperMessiah

Troubleshooting Motherboard/CPU
« on: January 27, 2008, 01:47:47 PM »
hello there everyone! thanks for your help in advanced.

a few years ago i purchased an HP Pavilion desktop pc, when i wasnt into building computers or knowledgeable in the computer world. the specs of the system were:

HP Pavilion
Windows HP Home
DVD Drive (stock)
Cd Burner (stock)
Floppy Drive (stock)
Intel Celeron
Stock Motherboard with onboard sound and graphics
80 Gig HDD
250 Watt Stock ATX PSU

this was my everyday system from 2003 to september 2007. i didnt have any problems with it for the most part...except for the cd burner stopped working, so i got an external dvd burner so i would have a burner. i went on vacation in september for only about 3 days, so i just left the computer on when i was gone as i usually did...i rarely turned it off. when i returned home and went into my room....to my delight the computer was turning on and off repeatedly...it would power up for 5 secs, shut down, power up...i stood there and saw it do this for about 2 mins...

i then unplugged the power cord, and decided to just to let it rest. after about 4 hours of letting it sit there, i decided to clean the computer out with canned air and get all the dust out, cleaned out the fans, heatsink...the whole deal. i put everything back together, turned on the computer and it did the same thing...so i unplugged it again and i went out to buy a new power supply because in my experience, a problem like this is most likely caused by a powe supply problem. i got a new 400 watt atx power supply...hooked it up and the computer did the exact same thing. i was stuck buying a new motherboard. i didnt have a working computer until i had enough money for a new motherboard and CPU...which was about a week ago lol. my mom actually bought me the motherboard i have now for christmas, but she got me one that is for AMD CPU's, so i had to buy my own Processor. just got a Sempron 2800 with heatsink and fan from ebay for $31 all together.

so as of right now my system specs are

MSI Mainboard
AMD Sempron CPU (i know its not that good of a CPU, but im not a gamer or anything)
Stock CD Drive
Stock Floppy Drive
80 GB HDD
512 MB DDR
400 Watt ATX PSU
Windows Home freshly installed.

i have a new ATX Gamers case on the way, with blue LED fans and Blue Cathodes...its gonna be cool as ice.

everything is working fine and dandy now. but im not here to talk about my current specs...im here to finally get an answer to....WHAT in the world happened to my old motherboard and/or cpu (i have no way of telling which one was actually causing my system to act weird)

most would say, dont worry about your old stuff since you got a newer system now! but i would like some closure on what went wrong, and to see if maybe, just maybe my old CPU could work on a new intel motherboard. plus, i have enough parts around here to build another computer (just need new memory), and i need to see if i need a new intel cpu, or motherboard.

thanks in advanced for any help...and thanks for reading my story lol

homer

Expert
    Re: Troubleshooting Motherboard/CPU
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 05:10:44 PM »
    you will need a known-working motherboard that is the same socket type as your old CPU in order to test it. if it works, then the problem is with your motherboard. it might even be that the CMOS battery is simply in need of replacement on your motherboard.