Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SYMBOLS INSTEAD OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE  (Read 4135 times)

Hank

SYMBOLS INSTEAD OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »
When I start my computer, there are symbols instead of the English alphabet.  I shut it down & moved to another computer.  Is this the result of a a virus or trojan?  How can I fix this?  It is an IBM computer with Windows XP Pro operating on it.

qinghao

Intermediate
  • Don't think your self special
    Re: SYMBOLS INSTEAD OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 02:51:30 AM »
    "control panel"->"Regional and Language"->"Regional"
    change this and click "OK" button!
    restart your computer !

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:26:29 AM »
    When I start my computer, there are symbols instead of the English alphabet.  I shut it down & moved to another computer.  Is this the result of a a virus or trojan?  How can I fix this?  It is an IBM computer with Windows XP Pro operating on it.

When are you seeing the symbols...in the startup screen before Windows loads or after ? ?
    If before .... that hard drive may be failing. DLoad and run the diagnostics from the drive manuf. site.
    Another thing it could be is the CMOS battery but i would test the drive first.
    If it is afterwards what program is it showing up in ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Hank

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:19:58 AM »
    The symbols show up at my sign in screen.  If I click on Start, the list is all in symbols.  All of the shortcuts on my desktop are named with symbols.  If I click on "my computer", all the files are named with symbols.  I've started the computer in safe mode & ran virus & spyware software.  The symbols still show up in safe mode.  I have disconnected the computer & I'm using another one until we can figure out what to do next.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »
    "control panel"->"Regional and Language"->"Regional"
    change this and click "OK" button!
    restart your computer !
    Did you try this?  I think a question as to whether you're looking at foreign language such as Chinese still needs to be answered.

Hank

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 11:29:51 AM »
    The first thing I did when this problem started was to check "Regional and Language" & it was set properly.

Hank

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
    I'm thinking now that this may be a hardware problem.  I took the cover off the computer & vacuumed the dust out.  The drive is a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV Model ST340016A.  I went to their site & downloaded their diagnostic software.  I haven't used it yet, but I noticed that, what I would call a belt, is twisted & ripped.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 02:14:17 PM »
    And, that "belt" is a flat, wide cable that is connected to the hard drive, right?  Being twisted is not unusual, but "ripped" is definitely a bad condition.  If it appears to be damaged, it should definitely be replaced.  Quite likely, that's the problem here.

Hank

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 02:42:46 PM »
    Thank you.  My next step is to get the computer to a repair person & hope it doesn't cost much to replace that cable.  Do you happen to know if my files should be ok or am I going to lose all my pictures?

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »
    Well, you might buy a cable and install it yourself.  It's not difficult.  You can buy the cables online or find one at a local computer shop.  Here's one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812105909

The files on your hard drive may be OK; I don't think anyone can say for sure without actually replacing the cable and starting the computer.

Hank

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 03:29:11 PM »
    My computer is now at a computer repair shop.  The cable is fine.  They come ripped for some reason.  The computer man thinks that it is a virus & he will try to fix it tomorrow.  I'll keep you updated on the results in case this happens to anyone else.  Thanks to everyone for helping.