Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Password Recovery [solved]  (Read 2527 times)

Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Computerfreaks RULE !!!
    Password Recovery [solved]
    « on: January 28, 2008, 03:11:57 AM »
    Alright hello everyone.
    This is my current situation :
    I've got :
    Windows XP Home SP1 installed on my laptop (fresh,clean install)
    140 GB HD (Laptop)
    300 GB HD (external) - 2 encrpyted (with TrueCrpyt) partitions --> total 270 GB
    The Laptop HD had 3 partitions on it:
    Partition 1 : Recovery - FAT32 - 7 GB
    Partition 2 : VISTAOS - NTFS - 80 GB (Windows Vista)
    Partition 2 : DATA - NTFS - ~50 GB

Now I reparitioned it in the process of installing Windows XP (cuz Windows Vista is a b1tch) and now :
    (Laptop HD)
    Partition 1 : Unnamed - NTFS - 10 GB (Windows XP)
    Partition 2 : Unnamed - none - 10 GB
    Partition 3 : Unnamed - none - 90 GB
    still 30 GB left to partition incase I wanna install another OS.

So as I said before my external Hd has 2 encrypted partitions (both encrypted with TrueCrypt). The password to open the encrypted partitions in "PW.rar" was on the VISTAOS partition in the "Users/****/" directory.
     Stupid as I am I cut and pasted all the data on "DATA" and most of the data on "VISTAOS" (including the password file) into the encrypted partition. I used BartPE to do this, cuz Windows Vista refused to boot. Now the password file is gone and the external HD is beautifully encrypted, but I don't have any access to it.
    The worst thing is all the documents for my studies are backed up on that encrypted HD !
    Good thing is I know part of the password and now this is where u guys jump in.

The password is about 18 characters long. Starts with "€|\/|³" and ends with "$]-[" (quotation marks omitted). The word is supposed to be "emerald-cash".
    Question 1 (and possible solution):
    Is there any program, that can generate a list of passwords, that I can try out of that it can try out on TrueCrypt ?

Question 2 (maybe another solution):
    Is there even a slight chance to recover the "PW.rar" file ? Even a tiny bit wouuld be enough cuz it's only about 16 KB I think maybe even less.
    « Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:19:46 AM by Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley »
    Don't smoke!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Password Recovery
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jeronimo_Mc_Kinsley

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Computerfreaks RULE !!!
      Re: Password Recovery
      « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:30:49 AM »
      Alright I solved it  ;D

Here's how:
      Using Bart PE and GetDataBack for NTFS, I created a Windows Live CD (call is as u like that's what I call it) with the GDBfN plugin.
      After booting the P.C with the Live CD, GDBfN scanned the laptop-HD and recovered the password-archive. :o

This was possible, cuz I "only" rewrote the partition table and Quick-formatted the Windows XP partition. The Windows didn't take up that much space, so it didn't overwrite the needed data  ;D --> recovery ! (^_^)
      @patio thanx 4 the page, but the methods described there need a password.
      Don't smoke!