Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ntldr is missing  (Read 2589 times)

watson60

ntldr is missing
« on: January 20, 2008, 12:36:06 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm not technically minded so bear with me.
I am using winxp pro with sp2 fully updated.

I get the following on the screen when I boot my computer:  'ntldr is missing;  press ctrl, alt and delete to restart computer'.  I know this question has been answered in paper CH000465 and I have tried to follow it.  My problem is that when I type in copy x:\i386\ntldr C:\ I get an 'access is denied' prompt and can get no further.

The problem ocurred when I uninstalled nero from my pc and when the pc restarted this message appeared on the screen.

My computer is a new build with an asrock 2core1333-2.66g socket 775 motherboard and chip.  OCZ 2x 1gb ddr2 800mhz/pc2-6400 cl 4-4-4-15 platinum xtc memory; innovision geforce 7300 le 256mb ddr2 pci-e graphics card.  If you need any more information than this maybe you would let me know what you need.

OS is Windowsxp pro and sp2 fully updated as at 08/01/08.  This os has operated on my old computer for 5 years and has been on this one since Oct, 2007 with no previous os problems.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: ntldr is missing
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

Quote from: watson60
My problem is that when I type in copy x:\i386\ntldr C:\ I get an 'access is denied' prompt

Can you be sure that the x: drive is your cd/dvd ??? 

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

watson60

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:11:41 AM »
Hi Dusty, thanks for the reply.  The letter I typed in was actually the letter of my cd/dvd drive where the disc was, in this case g:  Sorry for the confusion.
I maybe should say that I have run Spybot S&D, Trend micro housecall, super antispyware, spywareblaster, avg anti spyware, avg av, windows defender and ccleaner.  All that was found were a few tracking/profiling cookies.  I have also run chkdsk on my C: drive which was ok, if that is any help.  In between my first post and this one I tried the fix again but I still got the same result. In the meantime I am booting my pc from the xp disc every time.
Thanks again for the help.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »
    Try doing a restore from the CD.  Boot to the cd / choose restore

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Tele

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »
    Hi Watson60,

I have posted a new topic where it seems you have the same problem I have. In this case I get invalid drive specification. Or even when I try to change to C: I get the invalid drive message. I tried using the XP Install CD like Dusty suggests and when I hit enter to boot from the disc my screen turns out black and it hangs there. ???