Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clicking links from within programs won't open the browser  (Read 5393 times)

TRDaggett

Clicking links from within programs won't open the browser
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »
Hello all, just registered, first question.

I'm trying to figure out why nothing happens when I click on a link that's supposed to take me to that product's web site.
For instance, if I click on a link [within a program] (like it's "Home page", or "Online Help", or "Upgrade to Pro version") nothing happens. It should (and used to) open up my default browser, but for quite a while now it doesn't*.

Also (this might not be related, but...) clicking on links in Thunderbird (email) stopped working too. (though I thought [that] might be an intended result of a security 'fix' or something, so now I just copy the URL and paste it into Firefox's address bar, no big deal...)

But the main issue I want to resolve is the default (or any) browser not opening.

*Note: If I click on the link to "Download new add-ons for Internet Explorer" from within the "Manage Add-Ons" dialog box (in Internet Properties -> Programs [Tab]), IE *does* open!

Also, clicking on saved web page links/shortcuts from a folder or on my desktop works fine.

I've gone through all the "Internet Settings" and IE settings within other programs (like Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster) and all the settings look fine to me.

I've tried turning off the firewall [temporarily] (and checked it's logs and settings to see if anything is being blocked), but everything looked normal and the problem continued when the firewall was off.
The same for my AV (Avast). I stopped all the "On Access Protection" but the problem persisted with it turned off.

The 1 'error' that I've noticed is:
When I click on "http://www.avast.com"(If I R-click on the Avast 'sys tray' icon and choose "About avast...", then click on that URL/link) I get a dialog box pop up that's named "ashUInt" and a message stating "The specified file was not found".
(That [.dll] file *IS* in the Avast folder though)
- Anyway, that issue is only within Avast [obviously], and doesn't occur when I click links within other programs.

I seem to recall this issue starting after a Windows Update, but I could be mistaken.

Now here's some FYI:

Browsers installed (all the latest versions): IE7, Opera, Firefox (set as the default)
Security Software running: Avast Home 4.7, Sygate Personal Firewall, Spybot S&D (w/ Tea Timer running), SpywareBlaster.
Network: 2 PCs behind a NAT router.(No connection issues whatsoever)

Honestly, I'm fairly experienced and I rarely encounter issues I can't resolve myself, but this one stumps me at this point.
Everything else on my system is working fine.

Does anyone know why this is (or NOT) happening?
If it's some simple solution that I'm overlooking I'm going to kick myself....

Thanks

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Clicking links from within programs won't open the browser
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »
It sounds like you've tried quite a bit.  One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the "default browser" link can break, just one kind of glitchy issue with some versions of windows.

Try going into IE, going to tools, options, and changing the option that says IE should check to make sure it is the default browser.

Close out of ie, re-open, and when it prompts, have it change itself to the default.  Then, do the same thing with firefox, and try the links again.

Let me know if it works.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:23:06 PM »
I would also like to add a thank you for the detailed info.  That makes my task of answering your question a LOT easier.

TRDaggett

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 07:05:47 PM »
Funny you should mention that....

I forgot to mention the fact that I [had] changed the setting in the IE 'default' check box.
I just didn't do it from within IE (control panel-> Internet Options) then open IE afterwards.
I did wonder if something was awry with the IE/Default Browser settings.
Sometimes I get the feeling that MS/IE doesn't 'play nice' with other browsers.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid..
Also, I did *think* of 'jiggling' the 'Default Browser' setting. Turning settings off/on seems to work to reset settings in many cases. It's worked for me in the past on occasion, I just didn't actually DO it completely. I was SO close!

So as you can probably tell, it worked. At least so far... I switched IE back to the default browser and tried the links, and they now work. I just haven't tried switching Firefox back as the Default, then check the links. I wanted to get to the forum and let you know ASAP.

I'm now going to go do that, and I'll BRB to post.

Way to go Soc! Nailed it on the first try.

TRDaggett

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »
OK now this is weird. I unchecked the IE check box, closed IE, Opened Firefox and checked [it's] 'default' check box and set [it] as the default.
When I clicked on the Avast link the same 'couldn't find the file' box popped up.
I closed that box, and a second later Firefox opened up the Avast web page.

I then tried another software link, this time in "WordWeb" and it worked fine.

So the issue is resolved except for the error alert from Avast.

I've also noticed this behavior before. You click on a button, a dialog box opens and tells you there's a problem, but the action completes anyway. It doesn't happen often, but enough to recognize it when it happens. It must be some kind of conflict or coding issue.

Well thank you for your excellent help. And I'm glad I was on the right track, even if I didn't completely solve it myself!

Thanks again, and have one of your favorite beverages on me (kind of).

Cheers!

PS: I'll have to recommend this forum in a future blog post!

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:14:22 AM »
Glad I was able to help you out. 

I've been in that situation before where I've tried nearly everything I can think of and just gotten stuck.

I'm guessing your suspicions are correct about a coding issue, possibly with avast, but I'm not sure (I'm not too familiar with avast, but it may have a particular liking for IE over other browsers).

Cheers, and thanks for the drink ;)