Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding additional harddrive&memory card from my old computer  (Read 2610 times)

KevMan

Adding additional harddrive&memory card from my old computer
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:48:28 AM »
My old computer's motherboard went out so I pulled the harddrive out plus the memory card and now I want to put that in this other computer. They both have the same Windows XP. *( Note; I installed the DVD/ CD Burner in this from my old computer and it works although I haven't burnt a CD yet. It's from an eMachine as is the harddrive and memory card.)
Can I install it all and have the 2 work together? Is their something special I need to do to make them work together?
I'm not stupid but, computer lingo is Greek to me for the most part so if you can help please do so in laymans terms, please.
Thank you for your time and patience...

morgile

Re: Adding additional harddrive&memory card from my old computer
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »
WEll, just because the CD Driver and such works with the new PC, doesn't necessarily mean the RAM will.  The thing about RAM is that if it's not compatible, it won't even fit in the slot, so you can pretty much tell really quickly if it won't work.  Unless, of course your going to an older machine (not sure why you'd do that, though).  In that case if you had (for example) 1GB of pc 3200 RAM, and tried to put it in a machine that would only handle PC 3200 512 MB, then that's gonna be a problem.

But as long as your putting it into a newer machine, and it fits, the RAM should be OK.

As far as the HD, just hook it up to the new one (like a daisy chain), and make sure to set up your BIOS so that it boots to the HD you want... Might take a little bit of playing with it, but either HD should be accessable from your PC OS as long as you have it hooked up correctly. 

A good example of this is when I put a VERY OLD HD into a bran new PC at work.  The darned thing only had like 10 GB on it, but it had ESSENTIAL software for the prepress department of a print shop.  The RIP software used a dongle to prevent pirating, but the old HD worked in the bran new machine nontheless.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
But as long as your putting it into a newer machine, and it fits, the RAM should be OK.

Because it fits in the slot does not mean it will work.
Travel to crucial.com and enter the machine specs to see what type of RAM will run in that machine.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

KevMan

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
Ok, call me something but I am at a loss here now. I put the HD in my other tower along with the memory card and nothing is happening. Do I need a memory card that will open the other HD? Can I do something w/ my present system to access the other HD? What I really need is to have an online conversation with someone whose generous enough to simply help someone. I don't know a lot about this stuff but, I'm not stupid an I can figure it out w/ hands on. Thank you to those of you that offered me advice. If you are the one that would offer help contact me at (<e-mail removed>) ...
Thank you all again for your help.

Admin Edit: Removed your e-mail to help prevent your e-mail address from being harvested by bots.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:04:37 AM by Computer Hope Admin »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »
To access the other HDD it needs to be hooked up as a slave.
This means to re-set the small plastic jumper on a set of pins on the back of the drive.
They are located between the power plug and the IDE plug.
Most drives have a diagram on top of them to let you know the different settings.
If it does not consult the drive manuf. website for the proper jumper settings
Your main HDD in the new machine also may need to be changed to Master w/slave...
Then hook them to the cable in the order below:

II==================================II============II

MBoard                                                Slave                     Master.

After doing so when you re-boot the other drive should show up in Windows Explorer and you should see all your files from the old drive.

NOTE ! Do not attempt to boot from the old drive...any OS after WinME ties the hard drive to the machine it was installed in and will probably not boot correctly...you also risk corrupting the Data making it more difficult to retrieve.

NOTE 2 ! Because the drive has been moved it may not immediately be recognised in Explorer because Windows is looking for your old User Profile...in this case Travel Here  and follow the instructions...

Best of Luck.
P.S. I'd leave the memory out of the equation for now until you determine if it is compatible with the new machine.

patio.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "