Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Secondary Hard Drive installation, Detection but not properly  (Read 2378 times)

Phaze

Secondary Hard Drive installation, Detection but not properly
« on: January 29, 2008, 04:46:05 PM »
I installed a second hard drive. I put it on the same serial cable as first hard drive. Bios detects hard drive. Windows XP Device Manager also detects it. But it detects an extra CD-ROM that I do not have. In My Computer there is an extra icon for an F: Drive and its detected as a CD-ROM. I have uninstalled both secondary hard drive and extra "ghost" CD-ROM and then I have either tried to Add Hardware or I have restarted the computer. Either way both items are detected but the CD-ROM is the only item coming up in My Computer (and I, of course, cannot access it).

Phaze

Re: Secondary Hard Drive installation, Detection but not properly
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »
Update:

I disconnected the serial cable to the second hard drive and restarted the computer. Windows still detects secondary cdrom device even though there is nothing physically connected (instant check to make sure, one hard drive, one floppy drive, one dvd drive... all of which are listed in my computer as well as the "ghost cdrom drive).  I uninstalled it again and went to add hardware and it found the cdrom again... very confused now

Phaze

Re: Secondary Hard Drive installation, Detection but not properly
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
My final update and solution to anyone who might  come across this same situation. You have to initialize, partition, and format the new hard drive.

To do this:

* Right click on My Computer and choose "Manage"
*Double click on "Storage"
* Double click on "Disk Management"

If you see your new hard drive in here then you are in business. Right click on your hard drive and choose properties... you should be able to initialize first and then Partition and Format in one step. Then the new hard drive is ready for use