Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on  (Read 40536 times)

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Wife has HP ze4540 laptop.  WinXP.  All updates until about 4 months ago when she last turned it on.  I dug it out today to do updates.  Fire it up, it goes past HP logo, then displays, "Security Accounts Manager Initialization Failed, 'The handle is invalid.'"  Error:  Oxc0000008.  It instructs us to click on OK so it can restart in safe mode.  Clicking on OK merely restarts the same brief wake up as before, with the same error message.  No safe mode at all.

She does very little with this laptop, so it has rarely had much, if any, extra software downloaded.  Runs AVG antivirus.  Uses wireless card.  Ran fine last time.

Any tips as what to do?

Thanks,
    Dennis --- wife pacing floor....

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Thanks, Broni.  That seems to be closely related, but I still can't connect on this.  So far I'm more confused than before.  I think I need more input to get a direction on this. 

Maybe we're gaining.........

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      Did you try any steps listed in my link?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
        Thanks Broni.  I am uncertain how to proceed with your link.  It seems to specifically deal with error, "0xc0000001," not the 0xc0000008 that we are facing.  The error window that comes up for us also says to click on OK and it will reboot into safe mode.  Of course that does not happen at all.  Clicking on OK seems to run the machine through a quick shut-down/restart, but right back to the same error message.  An endless circle.  And to shut the laptop off I have to do a hard shut down by holding the power key on for a few seconds. 

It does not seem to want to go into safe mode at all.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        Does this laptop has any backup?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
          Backup:  quick answer, No.  Wife got it 2 or 3 years ago and has used it very little.  She figured she needed it for work and it turned out she didn't.  Her investment I guess.  I get it out once in a while recharge everything, update virus protection and MS updates, etc.  I clean up anything she doesn't need.   There was never any disk burned for any backup.  She also does not have anything much on it that needs to be saved.  I have my own laptop which is all I need.  Now she thinks she better have it available again. 

If this thing was taken down to ground zero, then put back together, she'd hardly know the difference.  It would be nice to load it without all the MS, HP and, "try me free," software teasers that commercial units come with too.

I've never reloaded Windows into anything before. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          Sounds good.
          Do you have Windows XP CD, or Recovery CD for that laptop?

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
            Sorry to be slow.  Wife just found the, "stuff," that goes with her laptop.  In these things she gave me:

A plastic bag with a folder in it that, through the unopened bag, reads:  "system recovery."  Looks like 3 disks.

Operating system CD, blue HP-blue labled copy of XP home SP1

Looks like 3 disks marked, "hp quickrestore, system recovery CD."

I take it this is a good beginning. 

I've never loaded, or re-loaded an operating system into any computer. 

If one re-loades an operating system, does any misc. info, (i.e. emails, Word docs, etc.),  remain alive on the hard drive?

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            If one re-loades an operating system, does any misc. info, (i.e. emails, Word docs, etc.),  remain alive on the hard drive?
            It depends on method used, but you said:
            She also does not have anything much on it that needs to be saved
            If we can wipe it clean, that's the better way to go.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
              Re: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on
              « Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »
              Thanks.

I just asked.  She said there is nothing on her laptop she needs to retain.

So it's a free run to start over fresh.  And it would be a new experience for me to try that. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 09:07:33 AM »
              The best way will be to use HP System Recovery disks. It'll return your laptop to the original state, like it came straight from the store.
              Pop in 1st CD, restart computer.
              Watch the screen. At some point, it'll say "Press any key to boot from CD".
              Press any key, and restoration process should begin.
              Just follow on-screen instruction.
              It's that simple.
              Feel free to ask any question, if any problem arises.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »
              MAKE SURE the Wife understands everything will be gone...
              Most common screams after this is done are "What did you do ? ? "
              Where are all my e-mails ? ?
              My address book is gone ! !
              I can't logon to gmail i don't have my password ! !

Etc. etc. etc.

Just be sure before you proceed...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:11:34 AM »
              Yeah, patio knows. His wife almost divorced him, after he did it to her computer....LOL

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »
                Back again.  Thank you;   the 4 HP recovery disks worked perfectly.  Her laptop is alive once again, and I'm back to the beginning.  Now to load MS SP2, etc., etc.  But first, I have to remember how to configure the laptop to recognize my D-Link 524 router so I can go on line and download.  Router is running 2 other computers in the house, wireless.  I need to see if I had to use a D-Link disk software originally or not.  Once I remember where to plug in the info, I can compare to this working desktop for addresses, etc.

Tomorrow's another day.

Dennis