Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on  (Read 40901 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Error 0xc0000008 SecActMgrInitialization failed on wife's HP; won't turn on
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2008, 12:24:16 PM »
Dennis...
the window that usually keeps coming up demands a, wireless network key "WEP,"  for the wireless access.
Look at my reply #27:
You have to use other computer to access D-Link setup page at http://192.168.2.1, and you'll find that key under Security.
I use Belkin, but there is a checkbox "Obscure PSK". If unchecked, it'll reveal password (normally hidden behind asterisks)

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
    « Reply #46 on: February 03, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »
    Trying to catch up.  I'll act on your last post momentarily, but here is the result of your cmd line request:

Windows IP Configuration
    Host name.................CPQ2196325723
    Node type..............Hybrid
    IP rounting enabled...........no
    windows proxy enabled...........no

Ethernet adapter local area connection

media state...........media disconnected
    description.........Nat'l semiconductor, etc.
    physical address.............00-0B-CD-EA-B8-B2

Ethernet adapter wireless network connection
    media state .............media disconnected
    description..........Dk-Link AirPlus DWL-G650, etc.
    C:/Documents& Settings/owner>

I'll look for that key again.

Dennis

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #47 on: February 03, 2008, 12:33:08 PM »
      Now I remember:  that D-Link setup page you posted link for just comes up," Cannot display page." 

I'll go to D-Link homepage again and look for security.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #48 on: February 03, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
      that D-Link setup page you posted link for just comes up," Cannot display page."
      You're not using laptop to do this? You must use the other (working) computer.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #49 on: February 03, 2008, 12:39:50 PM »
        Yes, I'm using the working computer to look up D-Link.  (but I am fast approaching being that flaky)  I just looked at D-Link's page for our model card, can find specs, etc., but no security revealations yet.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #50 on: February 03, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »
        My bad...D-Link setup page is at http://192.168.0.1/

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #51 on: February 03, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
        I just looked at D-Link's page for our model card, can find specs, etc., but no security revealations yet.
        Dig around. It has to be there. I, being on different router, can't access that site.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #52 on: February 03, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »
        Enable WEP (D-Link)
        Enabling WEP* (Wired Equivalent Privacy) will require anyone wishing to access the Internet through your wireless network to enter a password. After the correct password is entered, a connection is established, and all data sent from the D-Link to the computer and back is encrypted. From the D-Link configuration screen:

1. Click the "Home" tab.
        2. Click the "Wireless" button.
        3. Click the "Open System" button next to "Authentication".
        4. Click the "Enabled" button next to "WEP".
        5. Set the "WEP Encryption" to "128 bit".
        6. Set the "Key Type" to "ASCII".
        7. Type a 13 digit password into "Key 1".
        8. Click "Apply".
        9. When you connect to your wireless network from a computer, you will need to enter the 13 digit password.
        *Note: If your computer's operating system supports it, enabling WPA is more secure than WEP. The steps above can be modified to set up WPA.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #53 on: February 03, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »
          Thanks.  That D-Link, link you changed works much differently. (grin)  Now I'm looking for my password to access it.  I see how it can work.  When we set up our present ISP a year or so ago, the installer put in all this info.  So I have to work hard now to sort out where everything is.

We work on a radio link from here to a tower in a farmer's yard, bounces from there to grain elevator, then into town. Not that all that has anything to do with this....

This will take me some time.  First, I'm going to take a long walk in the snow.  I'll post back.

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #54 on: February 03, 2008, 01:20:02 PM »
          I'll be gone for few hours, so I'll check on you later.

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #55 on: February 03, 2008, 05:47:59 PM »
            I timed out again.  I'll try to remember all I just wrote...........

I can get the laptop to connect to the router.  i.e., lower right hand screen toolbar icon says, "54Mbps," and "excellent signal strength." 

When I try IE it fails, giving message cannot find server.  When I try Outlook Express it gives error, "can't find mail server." 

And if I continue to try these programs, the connection dies.

So I think I am now able to achieve the connection, but when I try any program that needs to send data, the encryption feature sees a foreign attempt to use the connection and it dies.  (novice at work here)

If I can find our user name and password to access the D-Link security URL you gave me, I could probably find the network key, plug that in the wireless utility window and I might be good. 

Am searching all our paperwork in the hope that was written down somewhere.  So far no luck.

I see your instructions which seem to show how to set up this all new, but I hesitate to fool with our entire system as we have the two main computers working fine now.  I don't need to knock it all down.

So I'm searching paperwork. 

Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #56 on: February 03, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »
            I can get the laptop to connect to the router.  i.e., lower right hand screen toolbar icon says, "54Mbps," and "excellent signal strength."
            That only means, that your card is seeing the router, but apparently, there is no connection between the card, and your laptop.

I see your instructions which seem to show how to set up this all new, but I hesitate to fool with our entire system
            I posted that quote from some site, just to let you know where to go to see the WEP key. I don't want you to change anything.

Check also this thread

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #57 on: February 03, 2008, 10:25:42 PM »
              Well, now that's an interesting thread.  I copied it to a Word doc. and printed it out.  I'll study it over a bit.  Sounds as if there is, "stuff," going on. 

I was called away for a bit.  Two of the boys are here visiting with their snowmobile.  Evidently they went for a little ride about 7 PM in the dark.  Got lost 2 or 3 miles out in the wheatfields.  Found their way back just as I was leaving in the Cherokee to go looking.  Would never know they are in their mid-30's.  In some directions here there's nothing for miles. 

Kids.  My wife's still in the other room lecturing...............

More in the morning.

Thanks, Dennis

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #58 on: February 03, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »
              No problem :)

DennisT

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #59 on: February 04, 2008, 09:53:04 AM »
                I sat down this AM with the, "other thread," printed out.  Pretty interesting.

1st, I tried the fix that worked for, "JilleBean, " under, "Go To Device Manager in XP."  I followed through carefully and when I got to the last step there was nothing there to enable me to change or insert the MAC address.  I have no option like his.  Dead end. 

2nd, I tried the fix that worked for, "edinvent," under, "Go To Network Places."  I got to the drop down menu that listed the desired, "repair," and it was not highlighted.  i.e., could not click on it at all. Dead end.

The other fix by, "John," seemed to involve getting into the router software which I am avoiding for the time being and, Broni, you said not to change anything yet anyway. 

I did find the basic documention for our router and wireless card.  I looked at the underside of the wireless care and found the MAC address which is a six digit string, alpha/numeric. 

I still cannot find the network key for our router and now doubt I will find it.

I'd prefer to hack away on just the laptop as I think the problem must be there.  And, again, I'm avoiding getting into the router software in fear of disturbing our whole, "system."

??

Dennis