Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to check for conflicting firewalls  (Read 3505 times)

rabdin2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

how to check for conflicting firewalls
    « on: January 30, 2008, 05:51:36 AM »
    I am trying to make a listing on Ebay and the listing procedure will not upload my pictures.
    I have been told by Ebay costomer services that there may be conflicting firewalls installed on the computer.
    How can I check which firewalls are active and if they are stopping me uploading pictures to my Ebay listing.
    I am using windows XP home edition

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: how to check for conflicting firewalls
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:03:50 AM »
      What do you have as far as security software (antivirus, spyware, etc.)?  What flavor of Windows are you using?  What type of Internet access do you have and what is the physical layout of your home network?
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

rabdin2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:13:54 AM »
        At the moment I dont have any security such as antivirus,spyware etc, these I have removed to try and resolve this problem with Ebay
        I am using Windows XP home edition which I have just reinstalled from the reload backup disc.
        Internet is via Orange broadband via a plugin modem connected to a dedicated telephone line.

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:19:36 AM »
          Eeeek!  :o Your computer is exposed and naked to the Internet!?  Get some sort of protection or it will become infected with all sorts of yuckies and you'll be forced to spend a lot of time on this board. 

Did you just do a repair install or did you format and reinstall?  If it was a repair install there may still be leftover bits of software lurking.  If you just did a format and reinstall there won't be any conflicts because the Windows firewall will be the only one on your system.
          Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

rabdin2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »
            Thanks I'm going to reinstall  AVG antivirus, do you suggest any others.
            My problem is I'm not sure what I'm doing trying to learn as I go along.
            I tried checking for firewalls by going to control panel and checking add/ remove programs, I can not see anything thast resembles a firewall ie Norton or Macafee
            etc.
            Thanks for the advise I will install AVG antivirus. Any other suggestions why Ebat will not upload my pictures to my listing. When I try the upload timer just remains on forever.

rabdin2002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »
              Please can you guide me thgrough the format and install procedure and I will run the reload disc in again to see if it resolves the problem
              ie dont know how to format and install
              thanks

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
              Why not open an account at photobucket or imageshack ; post the pictures there and then link them to eBay ? ?

I don't think this is a firewall issue here...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "