Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 issues when adding RAM  (Read 4890 times)

J Guy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows 98 issues when adding RAM
    « on: January 31, 2008, 06:30:09 AM »
    This Dell Dimension 8100 had Windows XP Home version.  I made it dual boot with Windows 98 because one application that runs only in Windows 98 is needed.  Machind worked OK as dual boot but Windows XP had issues , like runs slow, etc.  I added 1 GB of Ram and Windows XP greatly improved.  BUT, Windows 98 now won't start.  Just continues saying "insufficient memory", and "remove utilities", etc., as another posting on this forum.  I tried starting over, removed the 1 GB RAM, went back to the original 512M RAM.  But now it occasionally won't display on the screen, or when it does, it still won't boot in Windows 98.  So now it's just a Windows XP machine.   I hope there are some suggestions to get this fixed as a dual boot machine again with the additional RAM.  Thanks

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Windows 98 issues when adding RAM
      « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:45:55 AM »
      Windows 98 often has a brain fart when it has more than 512 MB of RAM to work with.  You can find a potential fix and other relevant info here: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=333688

I'm not certain what you should do to repair Windows 98.  I'll have to poke around.  Hopefully someone else will know what to do and post the answer while I'm poking.  :D
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:34:39 AM »
      Here Ya Go...

The other option would be to run it in XP in a Virtual Machine enviornment...
      Nevermind that...you would still need to make the above adjustments.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

J Guy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »
        Thanks for the suggestions, so far.  Unfortunately the MaxFileCache was set to 32616 so changing it to 524288 gave the same results, "Insufficient memory to run Windows."  I've read the stuff in MS Knowledgebase but it's mostly over my head.  Need more help, thanks.