Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor Port Help  (Read 3135 times)

GN

Monitor Port Help
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:35:05 AM »
So here is the problem. My monitor is having a problem with it's colors. It is not showing any red. Green and blue are fine. But obviously this is very annoying.
I have narrowed the problem down to the monitor port on my computer (don't know what it's called. It's where the blue thing with the screws goes). I know this because I've tried a different monitor, with a different cord on my computer, and it does not change.

My question is this. Is there some way to fix it? Or is there some way to add a new one, that can be plugged into some other port?
What can I do?
Thank you in advance.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Monitor Port Help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 07:38:26 AM »
Sure.
If you are running off the onboard graphics chip it would simply be a matter of deciding on a vid card and installing it...
Post as much info on the machine and your graphic needs/uses as you can and someone will be along shortly.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GN

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »
Sure.
If you are running off the onboard graphics chip it would simply be a matter of deciding on a vid card and installing it...
Post as much info on the machine and your graphic needs/uses as you can and someone will be along shortly.
Well yes, I am running off the onboard graphics card. And I know that a new graphics card would solve the problem, but first I'd like to look at alternatives.
Is it possible to get some sort of converter or something? Something I plug into an existing port, that will give me that monitor port?
I'll bite the bullet and buy a graphics card if I have to, but can we explore this other path first? Is it possible?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »

I have narrowed the problem down to the monitor port on my computer (don't know what it's called. It's where the blue thing with the screws goes). I know this because I've tried a different monitor, with a different cord on my computer, and it does not change.
Your deduction here is almost certainly incorrect; the problem is not likely a problem with just the port.  It's your onboard video function that appears to have become defective.  And, no converter will fix your "port" problem.  So, as patiio said, an add-on video card would the solution.

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »
    Is it possible to get some sort of converter or something? Something I plug into an existing port, that will give me that monitor port?
    Nope, such a thing doesn't exist. A printer port (for example) isn't wired internally to the graphics card, no amount of adapters can change that. This is like asking for an adapter that turns a power outlet into a water faucet.
    And as Soybean says, it is most likely not a problem with the port at all.

Before changing the graphics card you should check the color settings in Windows. Most graphics card drivers have their own color settings. Maybe the red color is turned down there.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

GN

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »
    Thanks for the reply =)
    Looks as if I'm going to have to just get a new video card. I don't want to sink a lot of money into it though, as this is not a very good computer.
    Can anybody make some recommendations? Right now the onboard one is a Geforce 6100, so really anything like that will do, and will probly help me save money.
    In fact, my whole computer is posted right here http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T6420

Nope, such a thing doesn't exist. A printer port (for example) isn't wired internally to the graphics card, no amount of adapters can change that. This is like asking for an adapter that turns a power outlet into a water faucet.
    And as Soybean says, it is most likely not a problem with the port at all.

Before changing the graphics card you should check the color settings in Windows. Most graphics card drivers have their own color settings. Maybe the red color is turned down there.

Yup i'll try that too.
    EDIT: No luck with the color settings.
    « Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:42:04 AM by GN »

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »
    How old is your computer?  Less than 2 years, right?  Did this problem start all of a sudden?   

Does your monitor have some color settings, accessed by buttons on front of the monitor?  What make and model monitor is it?

GN

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 11:11:18 AM »
    How old is your computer?  Less than 2 years, right?  Did this problem start all of a sudden?   

Does your monitor have some color settings, accessed by buttons on front of the monitor?  What make and model monitor is it?
    I bought this computer in July 2006. And yes, this just started happening a week ago. At first, the red would go out for 1 minute or so, then just come back on randomly. Now it's actually staying like this.
    Now, the buttons on the front of the monitor. I am able to access all of the normal color options. The reason I know that red is the problem, is that I can change green and blue just fine, but when I change red, nothing actually changes.
    Monitor is HYUNDAI. Model number N91W. Random page on it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824179035

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 12:18:57 PM »
    Well, based on comments in your last post, I'd definitely want to try that monitor on another computer to rule out the monitor as the source of the problem, before you go out and buy a video card.

GN

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »
    Well, based on comments in your last post, I'd definitely want to try that monitor on another computer to rule out the monitor as the source of the problem, before you go out and buy a video card.

Yup I've tried that. It works fine on other computers. Also, I tried another monitor on my computer, and the color problem still exists. Also tried different sets of cords on both, so I really think it's just the computer.