Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot connect or see workgroup computers  (Read 4069 times)

Bob Newell

Cannot connect or see workgroup computers
« on: January 11, 2005, 08:50:10 PM »
Hello. I cannot figure out why XP Home ed cannot find the other computers (2- WIN98, and 1- Linux, and TIVO)  in the workgroup. All IP addresses starting with 192.168.2.   , All gateway addresses are 192.168.2.1. The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.
All workgroup names are MSHOME. Files and directories are shared. I can ping all addresses from all computers. Still not able to see other workgroup computers.

Joleen

Re: Cannot connect or see workgroup computers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 06:54:52 AM »
Can the other machines see each other and the XP box?

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: Cannot connect or see workgroup computers
    « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 10:43:16 AM »
    Bob try this. I know it sounds unlikely, but I've seen it work. I guess your problem is the computers cannot be seen in network places? Using the search tool, go to search for other computers (not files) and type in the computer name. Strange but it's worked on two networks for me.

Do you have a firewall? Is it configuered properly?

I take it the other computers on the network work fine?

Have you tried running the network wizard? It gives you the option to create a network disk to use on other computers. I've never tried it myself, but it's worth a shot. I'm not sure if it's intended for non-XP computers though.

Hope I've helped.
    « Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 10:44:30 AM by Neil »