Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Something has killed my computer - HELP!!!  (Read 5002 times)

Michelle

Something has killed my computer - HELP!!!
« on: January 11, 2005, 09:58:59 PM »
I went out of town this weekend and turned my computer off before I left. Everything was working fine then. Tonight I turned it on and I get a chkdsk configuration page before my computer loaded up. Said Windows XP was checking my configuration and such. Then I noticed it said it was deleting some corrupt files. Well, it did all of this, and then it automatically went to reboot, and now NOTHING is loading up on my computer. I just get the Compaq page then the Windows XP boot page with logo and then NOTHING. I tried loading in safe mode and i just get a blank black screen that says safe mode as usual but nothing else is on there (meaning my files and desktop icons). I noticed last week that my keyboard was acting up - certain letters wouldn't type and then nothing would work. It was also typing a bunch of gibberish before that by itself. I fugured my keyboard was broken so I hooked up another one and then it worked fine. Everything else has been working fine, too. My computer has not been slow or anything. I am not sure what just happened tonight. But my computer is now just a dead black screen. I hope someone can HELP!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Something has killed my computer - HELP!!!
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
    Michelle........If you try to start and repeatedly tap the F8 key .......are you able to choose ........Last Good Configuration instead of Safe ?

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Michelle

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 10:12:34 PM »
    Oh, yes I did do that, too - sorry I didn't mention that in my initial post. No, it will not load when I select last good configuration.

Also, I have AVG as my antivirus. I just updated midweek last week and ran a scan when my keyboard was acting funny, but it did not detect any viruses then. I don't see how i got a virus since then, but it seems something is up.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 10:24:10 PM »
      Michelle......Have you tried to do a Restore/Repair using your Win XP cd ?
      http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

let us know

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 10:25:54 PM by dl65 »

Michelle

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 10:28:34 PM »
      also, i don't know what this means but i just tried restarting again. i kept pressing the F8 key while the Compaq boot page was up. Above the Compaq logo, while I'm hitting F8, it showed all of these MB numbers scrolling - they just kept getting higher in number. It then stopped at 191MB and then I got an error message and it said "the following configuration options were automatically updated" and then it said "191MB memory". It's never done that before. Then it took me to the Windows Advanced Options Menu.

Michelle

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 10:37:02 PM »
      no, i haven't tried that as i do NOT have a win xp cd. a friend of mine upgraded my computer a couple of years ago using his win xp cd and i do not have my own cd of it.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 10:38:52 PM »
        Michelle......That was the memory check that you saw running...... What where the option listed in ....Windows Advanced Options Menu ?

let us know

Michelle

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 10:46:46 PM »
        all of the ones that are always there........

safe mode
        safe mode with networking
        safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging
        enable vga mode
        last known good cofiguration
        directory services restore mode
        debugging mode

start windows normally
        reboot
        return to os choices menu

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 12:31:25 AM »
          Michelle......What about borrowing a Win XP cd from a friend and try doing the repair/restore ?
          You pc won't start  normally  , wont start in safe and wont start in Last known good configuration .......I dont think you have any other options.

Danene

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 11:58:29 AM »
          my friend is ??? having the exact same problem  right now....exact same.....have you had any luck yet ???

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 12:03:21 PM »
          old post ........jan 11 2005!