Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network backing up files?  (Read 4238 times)

1bd4t6h

Network backing up files?
« on: February 05, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »
Hey all,
Sorry I don't recall the proper name for what I'm looking to do. If there is even a propper name. What I want to do is have a computer that has a harddrive that I will use for everyone on our network to back everything up. I was wondering what type of hardware I should use. I have plenty of spare computers but is it really necessary to waste a P4 on this? I mean I could use the P4 for another use. How would a P3 do with this job?

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Network backing up files?
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:27:35 AM »
    Will this computer be performing a backup operation or will it essentially be just storage space accessable by anyone on the network? Can I assume this is a workgroup and not a domain?
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

1bd4t6h

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:47:11 PM »
    I'm thinking that I'm going to just keep it storage space for everyone to put their stuff on. And I'm going to be doing this via workgroup. 

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:34 PM »
      If it's just going to store infrequently accessed data, the CPU shouldn't be stressed and the P3 will probably suffice.  If it's going to be used more like a file server (data accessed frequently and by many users) you would be better off with the faster CPU. 

It's hard to tell you what else to use because I don't know your inventory. :)
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

TheEmperor

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »
        Important Question:
        Is there a budget for this project or not?
        If there is a budget I recommend setting up a RAID 5 array to help speed up the access and avoid data loss in the event of drive failure. Also a gigabit ethernet card and a switch that has at least one gigabit port would be a welcome addition. Faster drive speeds and faster network speeds will benefit you more in the long run that a faster processor.
        The Emperor
        Ruling over Technology since 1998
        www.TechEmperor.com