Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help for my sister please  (Read 2088 times)

wahwah

help for my sister please
« on: February 05, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »
she has just rung me in a panic as when she turns on her computer the windows appear with all the icons then the screen freezes!! she cant move the curser arround or anything, she cant even shut it down, she has to turn the computer off at the mains!. She did a virus scan on it about 2 weeks ago when she was last on it and all was fine back then??? any ideas?
many thanks x

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: help for my sister please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:05:23 PM »
What Windows version?
Will it boot fine into Safe Mode?

wahwah

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:30:53 PM »
hi,thanks for replying, she has windows xp, what is safe mode, so sorry, am thick with computers!!, we did another virus scan check today with latest norton and nothing identified. When again we went to turn it off, it took ages for the screen to shut down, it did eventually, then we booted it back up and it ran another check, that was fine too!!. Its just very sluggish. The only thing I can think of is to save all her files to disk and re set the whole computer back to default, as ? a virus in a file??

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »
To boot into Safe Mode, keep tapping F8 key, while computer starts, until menu appears.
If it boots into Safe Mode fine, and shut downs fine, that will tell us more.

elxr06

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »
1. download ccleaner and run it to clean computer of junk files.

2. download a registry cleaner and have it clean your computer. (regcleaner is one that seems ok, but like always, have the program backup files before cleaning) http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm

3. Maybe download ad-aware, A-Squared free or Spybot SnD (only one should be enough but update before scanning)

let us know if u get something more