Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My ip address is....0.0.0.0?????  (Read 4460 times)

hardway

My ip address is....0.0.0.0?????
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:21:16 AM »
 New to the site, I'm having a problem with my laptop. Its a Toshiba Satallite, Windows xp home 5.1 . I'm pretty sure its been either infected or loaded up with something not good. I think my kid probably opened up a website or something, anyways....now it will not connect to our wireless network (linksy) Through re-searching your site I've come to the conclusion that I no longer have a IP address, when I go to the ipconfig comand the result is  IP address 0.0.0.0, Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0, and default gateway is blank. I'm not to pc savvy so my main question is....Is this an easy fix or do I take it to town?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: My ip address is....0.0.0.0?????
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:04:40 AM »
The wireless connection is not picking up an IP address.

Can you go to Control Panel-->Network connections and let us know if the wireless LAN appears in the list of network connections.  If so, right-click it and choose "status" - we could do with a note of any messages that might be relevant on those two tabs (e.g. a screenshot).

What makes you think the laptop is infected?  What internet security software are you running?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

hardway

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »
It shows that its connected with limited or no connectivity.When I try to repair the connection I get a " Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed : Renewing your IP address, For assitance, contact the person who manages your network" My wife's laptop works just fine on the same network and when I run diagnostics is says my wireless card/adapter is fine. Like I said I'm not to savvy when it comes to pc's but I know I have the Norton that came pre installed, and Drivecleaner. Drivecleaner say's " Warning! 11473 Privacy Violations Found........

hardway

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 01:35:28 PM »
Thanks guys, I just loaded the recovery cd that came with my pc. I lost all my info, but it was'nt anything I can't live without. I'm now posting from this computer which I have'nt used in about 4 months. Thanks again.