Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I Want to Clear My Entire Computer and Start from scratch. How do i do it?  (Read 3072 times)

HPLaptop

Im sick of running into sh*t I dont know and wondering if its important, how it got there and what not. I want to get rid of everything on my computer, reinstall everything, then go from there. What things should I do before I do this, and how is the best way to go about getting rid of everything and then reinstalling everything back on? And what about pros vs. cons of clearing the system?

Soviet_Genius

Re: I Want to Clear My Entire Computer and Start from scratch. How do i do it?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:27:23 PM »
You need a windows CD to do that. Pros are, you correct all software-related errors and the little piles of crap from everything you installed and then uninstalled is gone. Cons are that you lose everything on the computer. Before you do this, it might be worth it to clean the computer up, eg virus/malware scans, defragment, etc.

karidrgn

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:26:52 PM »
Also, backup any files you want to keep - probably anything that's in Mydocuments that you want.  To really do the job right, if you have a large external hard drive you could backup your entire hard drive.  See if your local CompUSA is still open there might be some external drives available at a screaming deal.

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:49:05 PM »
See if your local CompUSA is still open

Is everybody in the world automatically assumed to be in the USA? My "local CompUSA" is around 3,000 miles away, seeing as I live in Europe...

Shynnie

Intermediate

• "All I want is his whereabouts, then I'm rich"..!!
    « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 04:07:33 AM »
    Dias de verano start a new topic to attract attention. Voce a portugeuess ne... Nao sen.

I'm from africa
    =============================================================

"those who know how will always work 4 those who know why"

“the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence”

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
    See if your local CompUSA is still open

Is everybody in the world automatically assumed to be in the USA? My "local CompUSA" is around 3,000 miles away, seeing as I live in Europe...

Unless stated otherwise how is anyone to know ? ?
    We guess at what hardware someone has 20 times a day...if a guess is made on where someone is from happens i don't see it being an issue.
    Did you say you were in the UK in your very first post ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "