Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: keyboard problem-annoying  (Read 5002 times)

vkr15

keyboard problem-annoying
« on: January 13, 2005, 09:52:03 AM »
Hi everyone,
I have this very peculiar problem with my keyboard--wonder if anyone else has it .
On booting my machine first thing in the morning(I switch off the mains before going to bed), I notice that some keys just won't type, i. e. no impression of the alphabet typed--specifically these pertain to the center row of the keyboard--a,s,d,f etc. After a very short while(usually a minute or so) everything becomes normal and I'm again able to type without any problems whatsoever. The alphabets that usually don't respond in the center row are a,s,d,f,j,k,l,;,'. The alphabets g and h never give any problem as also other keys on the keyboard.  My machine is practically new--bought it just 4 months ago, XP SP1 is the OS. No virus or adware on the system--I run avast 4.5,fully updated; ad aware 1.5 updated and spybot S&D updated daily and my system is apparently totally clean.
I even re loaded keyboard drivers but the problem persists---does any kind soul have a solution to the issue. The problem is just a wee bit annoying since after a short while i can work normally; of greater concern is that some virus or trojan is causing the problem but why after a minute or so everything becomes normal is intriguing. And why just the center row of the keyboard?
Any ideas. Thanks in advance.
vkr15

Corrosive

Re: keyboard problem-annoying
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 12:14:17 PM »
Hmm, two very strange keyboard problems posted very close together. [whistles 'X-Files' theme tune]

I'll maybe help you sleep a bit better if I said that it was unlikely to be a virus of any sort, but short of that I've little else in the way of ideas.

Unfotunately, this sounds more like an actual hardware problem, as opposed to software. But the good news is that the keyboard is often the cheapest bit of kit in a PC! Try replacing it or, if you don't fancy splashing out your hard earned cash, find another PC owning friend and plug the keyboard into their PC. If it doesn't work, the keyboard can be binned.*

But if it does work... well, we'll try and sort something out.

[* Of course, this is no use if you have a laptop, in which case you're kinda screwed for self repair. You'd need to send it back to the manufacturer, but then it should still be in warrenty anyway.]

Good luck!

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 01:48:37 PM »
$10 to $15 USA gets you a low-end USB or PS/2 PC keyboard. First try another borrowed KB in the machine, and if it does the same thing you may have to change the type (switch from PS/2 to USB or USB to PS/2) to get around a minor hardware glitch. If the borrowed KB works right, you just have an aging KB with bad foils on the printed circuit grid sheets. Replace the errant KB.

vkr15

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 09:45:16 PM »
Thanks Corrosive and Malik--kind of you to respond so promptly.
Yeah one possiblity is that it is a hardware problem(I wish it is)--no sweat as my machine is still under warranty and should be able to get a replacement without any charge.
I've had the same problem to-day -- the center row just would not function(except g and h).  I re installed the keyboard drivers but still no joy. And then  the center row started functioning normallly after about  a minute or so. Thats how I'm able to post this message to the board.
Beats me though, if it is a hardware malfunction why does it not malfunction the rest of the day.
Oh well sometimes one can't explain these things rationally--possibly computer keyboards can be human too.

Corrosive

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 01:31:24 PM »
They call them "intermittent faults" in the tech-support world, and they are hardest to diagnose. But even then, most have a perfectly valid explaination.

My theory on this is that there is a bit of wire or a connection somewhere in your keyboard that is broken by a matter of micrometres. When you just boot up the keyboard, the wires are cold, and so the connection doesn't quite complete, so you don't get the letters.

However, when you leave it for a while, the wires heat up a little (due to the electrons flowing through them) which makes them expand, completing the connection and allowing the keys to function normally...

No, I don't think it's all that likely either... ;)

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 02:35:58 PM »
it may pay not to switch the pc of at the mains (quote > I switch off the mains before going to bed)>..use the button on the desktop/tower and the monitor button..every time you turn it off at the mains socket can cause bios coruption!

vkr15

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 05:23:56 AM »
Hi Corrosive,
You were right on the button--it was indeed a hardware problem. The keyboard was replaced by the manufacturer and the new one is working just fine.
Thanks a pile.
In fact I showed the tech support man this thread we're posting on and the needful was done.
Thanks again.