Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: writing batch file to run application in website root folder  (Read 6009 times)

chassisb0t

writing batch file to run application in website root folder
« on: February 14, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
Hi, I'm new to writing batch files so I'll tell you my goal and what I've come up with so far.

I want the people viewing my web page to be able to click a button and it opens the Nortel Java Device Manager we use here at work with the IP address of the management switch preloaded.

I tried writing a batch file that looked liek this:
CD C:\Program Files\Nortel\JDM
START jdm.jar 1XX.XXX.XXX.XXX

Now that .bat file works for me locally on my PC fine, but when I save it in my root directory of my website (which is on a separate PC/server) and click the button hyperlinked to it, it tells me "http://neteng/DM_LLN.bat" in my webbrowser bar and that "page cannot be found".

Lemme know if this description is too confusing, basically we use a small java application to configure our switches remotely using a GUI and I am making a site with pictures of the switches that you can click on and instantly have the device manager pop up ready to config that switch. THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: writing batch file to run application in website root folder
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »
Are you trying to have the client pc or the server run the batch file?
I don't think a batch file is the best way to accomplish your goal, depending on which side the file should run.

chassisb0t

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:26:20 AM »
mmm Everything is runnin on the webserver. I'm a little unclear I suppose. Ideally the user should not have to download anything, but I don't know if that's even possible.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 09:10:23 AM »
I think you would have to use a server side language like asp or jsp to accomplish that. I don't think php will let you. You definitely can't  do it with html or javascript, as those are client side scripts and the server would refuse anything like that for security.
I don't know much about asp or jsp, but I'm pretty sure those languages will allow you to run files on the server. Since you are trying to run a java application, it would probably be best to work with jsp.